Help identify this vehicle and catch some thieves.

expensively a

(PSST! Anybody wanna buy a lawnmower or hedgetrimmer?)

Reply to
Homer2911

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

I've seen a few suggest Subaru but not the Impreza, here's the spec for the middle aged model, '94 to '02ish I think, the 'quiet' shape before the more radical look:

Dims are the same for both saloon & hatch (looks like an estate) within

5mm): Wheelbase: 2.52m Tread (as they call it), I assume it is track: 1.46m Tyres: Turbo 205/55R15, some late models had 16" & lower profile tyres RX 195/60R15 (I'm guessing this was the UK 2.0 Sport model) Non RX various 185/70R14, 175/70R14, 165/80R14 but I think that only the Turbo and Sport have ever been marketed in the UK

Also, these models were very popular in the country, real farmers' cars reputation, before they went really sporty. IIRC all subarus are perm 4WD.

Reply to
fred

SNIP

Don't think anybody has mentioned the Mazda 4x4 pick-ups that were around in the late 80's - were they B200s or something? I think there was a rebadged Bedford version, too. That'd be a typical Pikey chariot... I tried Googling for some specs but failed miserably :-(

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

They launched the impreza in the UK with the non turbo saloon, and hatch in 1.6, 1.8, and 2.0L forms. The Turbo a while after. The sport was a more recent addition for those who want the looks but not the power of the turbo. The conventional cars sold steadily at typical subaru volumes (i.e. small) prior to the debut of Mr. McCray. They entered rallying in a serious way in about '92 with Colin McRay driving the Turbo Legacy, which they raced for a couple of years, before switching to the Impreza.

All current models are. Historically a good number sold in the UK were front wheel drive only, and many of the AWDs were switchable between front and four wheel drive (with a dog clutch rather than a centre diff).

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, but wheel base is a tad short.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

SNIP

I don't think anybody has mentioned the Mazda 4x4 pick-ups that were around in the late 80's - were they B200s or something? I think there was a rebadged Bedford version, too (Brava???). That'd be a typical Pikey chariot... I tried Googling for some specs but failed miserably :-(

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Clive Summerfield muttered:

We had a drive-by a few months ago (the follow-up to an actual garden equipment burglary the previous year) and by tracks left in the field next to our shed, worked out it was a Subaru 4WD estate.

Reply to
Magwitch

Apprently teh most sought after vehicle by our travelling friends, who find its speed and 4WD capabilities highly useful..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hello :)

I think it could be the swb Leyland Daf van , a cheap pikey type run about , usually ex red GPO va

-- Mr Jingles

Reply to
Mr Jingles