Help! -caustic soda overdose.

replying to stuart noble, gjl wrote: I had this problem while trying to clean an antique glass rolling pin for a friend The easiest way is to remove as much water as possible and poor a good quantity of vegetable oil over it they will combine and make a very caustic soap which will then be easy to dig out or wash out with water this took a day and half to do in my case

Reply to
gjl

The discussion thread is from 6 months ago. Get yourself a sane newsgroup portal or client. This is news:uk.d-i-y.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to Chris Holford, Robert G Smith wrote: I know this is a few years old but just for the hell of it...I did the same and found the only way to clear this stuff is by pouring boiling water on it but be aware it fizzes like a good'un. Having taken the u-bend off it took about 3 kettles. Never again!

Reply to
Robert G Smith

I know this post is super old but just had this problem and thought it migh t help someone. first poured caustic soda, it solidified, before i realised i poured mr muscle drain gel and of course nothing happened. Then I read a bout the dance of mixing drain cleaning products, but figured since mr musc le is literally sodium hydroxide it couldn't turn too sour. Removed all exc ess gel and water I could. Started pouring kettle boiled water slowly, and draining and pouring and draining - after 12 kettles and 1 hour later every thing unblocked!!!! I'm so happy, I was loosing hope!

Reply to
mwfurgalska18

The plastic pipe is now history, melted and aa the water is collecting above the false ceiling downstairs perhaps? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh? where did it run to?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

replying to mwfurgalska18, Causticbandit wrote: So I had the same issue. Basically the moisture in the pipe will react with the NaOH rapidly generating heat and climping the excess NaOH together as it consumes all the moisture. The water the sits on top, forming a super satursared solution of NaOH and preventing further dilution. How to rapidly solve it: 1. grab a metal straw and push it all the way into the surface of the NaOH plug. 2. Using a small funnel, drop hot water through the metal straw. The fresh water will then dissolve a small portion of the surface layer of NaOH. You can tell it is working due to the straw heating up (I tried with plastic straw first but they melted!). 3. Repeat over the same spot a few times and you will breach a hole through in a few minutes. This will push water down and continue to dissolve the rest of the solid NaOH. NB: If you use more than one straw, it is faster.

Reply to
Causticbandit

you're replying to something posted on April 1st, *2012*

Reply to
Andrew

Just to remove any doubt for other readers.

When I did A level chemistry in the 1960's we were taught how to use solid caustic soda.

If you havn't been taught, don't touch it.

Reply to
newshound

Remove as much water as you can pour in half a bottle of cooking oil it will turn into a very caustic soap soft enough to wash down the drain will take 1 to 2 days to work I had the same problem trying to clean up a glass rolling pin

Reply to
Geoff L

A neat idea, but how quickly does it work on a solid caustic blockage? Would half a bottle be enough?

Reply to
newshound

Time helps - maybe about nine years is long enough?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

(somehow or other) I was just on the dreaded Homownershub site (I must have clicked a link here) (quite weird - dreamlike - to see the familiar names from here, on there)

Anyway he said he'd fixed it: "Yes, I have solved it! -it wasn't blocked in the first place, doh! I'd just moved in and wasn't aware that shower tray had a 'Phlexiflow' pumped waste. The problem was with the flow switches and/or the control unit for the waste pump. "

Like all the other posts, this is marked "posted 4 years ago".

hth J.

Reply to
Another John