Help building a door step

I want to build a door step outside our front door and tile it with some nice quarry tiles.

This is the view of what it's like now:

'm going to build a the step to the full width of the entrance and out to the "pillar's" you can see on the left and right of the photo.

I was thinking of removing the crappy B&Q flags, digging down six inches and pouring some concrete in there to create a slab, then trowel some mortar on when dry to create the fall away from the door and then finish off with the quarry tiles. I've never done anything like this before so any advise on how I should go about this would be gratefully received.

There are a couple of other things which I want to get right too. You can see on the left of the pic there is the electricity cupboard and the main feed to the house coming up the wall:

the BT phone line comes in on the other side of the door as can be seen in these two photies:

there any special concerns with the phone and leccy being there? And if so, how would I go about protecting these? Also, should I put any hardcore down as a base before concreting?, and should I put a barrier between the concrete and the house brickwork?

Many thanks,

Jonah

Reply to
Jonah