Heating Rate of Ordinary Electric Oven ?

The expected life of such things tends to be how long before they *look* old - rather than any real reason.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd say that an oven 'ought' to heat up from room temp to working temp in around 10 mins. Anything longer isn't very practical. I've never had need to buy an oven thermometer, as ours does it in under 10 mins so far as I can tell.

Reply to
GB

If it's any help, I reckon that our oven gets to 225C in about 10 minutes, so that's around 20C/min. So now get a thermometer and check how long the user's oven takes.

It's hard to see why a 30 year old oven should take a particularly long time. Either the heating element works or it doesn't - unless it has more than one and one of them has failed I suppose. So, I have sympathy with the OP, as the oven is likely to be performing now just as well as when it was installed.

Reply to
GB

I disagree.

I believe the OP is asking for the oven shoving up his arse.

Reply to
ARW

Shall we get metaphysical here?

How do you define the "right" rate?

Is it the rate the oven would have achieved when new? Irrelevant, since that's a purely academic figure.

Is it the rate a brand spankin' new oven would achieve? Irrelevant, because even when new it's unlikely this oven would have achieved that.

Is it the rate that some other random oven achieves? Irrelevant, because there are so many other factors coming into play - but mainly because, well, it's irrelevant to the user of the oven.

Is it the rate the oven achieves now? The user states that rate is unacceptable, so it can't be that. But what else CAN it be? Surely that's the only metric that matters, since the only person to whom the rate is relevant is the user. And they find it unacceptable. Ergo, the oven is demonstrably and incontrovertibly f***ed.

That's the really really easy bit. But, equally, irrelevant - since this is purely a subjective matter.

Here's a clue. The oven is a third of a century old. Change it.

The only other thing I'm wondering here is which one of the usual idiot serial trolls has morphed this time.

Reply to
Adrian

And I did not need to bother reposting it to the group after I had inadvertantly clicked "reply" rather than "follow up" in Thunderbird. But I did, and I now apologise for wasting the op's time and energy to read it twice. I blame it on my old age and stupidity, not Google.

uk.d-i-y is generally a very tolerant, loose community, with many regulars of long standing and with enormous knowledge and experience. Those who antagonise them seem to be less successful in future enquiries than those who don't.

Reply to
Kevin

But what would possess anyone to morph into a teacher at a Dutch Universiteit?

polygonum

That effect is negligible, though it should with care be measurable. Remem ber that ovens are thermostatically controlled, and when warming draw much more power than is needed to maintain the cooking temperature. But, since a measuring implement will be distant from the thermostat, the final few de grees of measured temperature rise, while the thermostat is cycling the pow er, are likely to be slower.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

You have perhaps failed to consider that, for an oven, the chief cause of w ear is actual use. This, as I said, is a double oven and in a block of fla ts. Flats such as that one are frequently low-occupancy. Therefore it is likely that occupants have rarely used the main oven.

But you have your uses : you have reminded me that the lower oven should al so be tested, separately.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

You really are quite amusing. Or barking mad. Or both.

Reply to
Adrian

Ha. And if videoed it would move him from the "tedious" to "entertaining" category.

Reply to
Scott M

The oven is not accessible by me. The plate is not accessible by the user.

And I am asking for such data points, from those who have that general sort of oven and who understand its behaviour.

Partly. But you did not give the temperature rise for that time, and I prefer not to guess it.

They *should* be about two feet *lower* than your voice-box.

You just need to read the question more carefully.

The former is not necessary, the latter is not convenient. Remember, I am not asking what the oven actually does; measurement will determine that. I am asking what such an oven should be expected to achieve.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

On Thursday 21 November 2013 18:38 GB wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Might be lower powered than today's models - and lacking a fan.

I vaguely recall my mum's oven taking 20-25 minutes to get upto 400F ish.

To the OP - you are Mr Rigsby and ICMFP

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 21 November 2013 19:05 Kevin wrote in uk.d-i-y:

This OP is a bit up his own arse, isn't he...

Reply to
Tim Watts

yeah, mine to, but given the attitude of the OP, who cares?

Reply to
John Rumm

Ignore all those rude replies. My own oven once appeared to take ages to warm up, so I put in a thermocouple and plotted its temperature rise. The temperature never reached the target. I discovered that one of the two heaters had failed. Luckily it was due to one of the supply connections burning out, and I was able to repair it and restore normal operation. i.e. about 10 mins to reach the target.

Reply to
Dave W

That is a valid answer, though I now suspect _slightly_ optimistic, even ta king the time to refer to 180C. Thanks.

The front insulation is known to be good enough to prevent the front outsid e from reaching its peak temperature until long after the inside has heated ; it seems likely that the other insulation is not much worse. There is no front window. The truth depends on the size of "much".

That presumably enables one to start cooking sooner. Nice.

I suspect you omitted the word "oven", or an apostrophe.

That does not matter for my question, since I only want to know what should be expected (implicitly, for an oven in proper order).

That will be 9C/minute, unless the kitchen itself is kept uncomfortably hot .

Only if frequently used, apart from possible cable-rot. A pre-inherited sp in-dryer died of cable-rot : after it was moved, the rubber-insulated suppl y cable was found to be almost liquefied at its entry, and access was too d ificult (bolts rusted in) to allow it to be replaced.

Regards, __ SL

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

That will be as much of a waste of time as the rest of your article.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

Naive. Drs. R.S. Lartius is clearly a different style and name. I wonder what that "S" stands for!

But that's an amusing page : it is largely in good English, but says "This information is available in Dutch only.".

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

That point is so manifestly important that, if it had had a fan, I would have said so in the first place.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius