Heat Loss Calculations

Hi All,

Does anybody know of any good Free Heat Loss programs around that the could recommend.

Thanks in advance.

And

-- AndyHingston

Reply to
AndyHingston

The Myson one is fairly reasonable although not on their web site at the present.

If you send me an email, I'll send you a copy.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Alternatively OpenOffice is free and has a spreadsheet, or you may already have Excel :-)

IOW you don't need a program to do the calcs for you: you can do them yourself, and a spreadsheet takes most of the graft out of it.

Reply to
John Stumbles

This one is ok from Barlo radiators -

logized

True, although you then have to find the tables of U values. Bear in mind the formula or U value factors for floor heat loss of ground floors due to perimeter and area.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am not sure if I need to configure things differently in the CP, bu I am unable to send an email to you?

I have mine setup so that users can email me or send PM.

Regards

And

-- AndyHingston

Reply to
AndyHingston

I did find this one last night and it has most certainly given me som figures, although I had a lot of trouble with missing values whe switching between screens. Although I also read on this group somewhere that it may not be to accurate. I have added 20% for hot water and 10% for other losses t the final sum. Does anyboy know if these are the correct allowances?

Regards

And

-- AndyHingston

Reply to
AndyHingston

You're welcome.

The CP?

If you follow the instructions in my signature and apply to my email address it should work - i.e. andyhAThallDOTgl replacing the capitalised bits with punctuation symbols.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There are a few points with these programs.

1) Check that the U values are accurate for the surfaces in question. You can do this from figures in the Approved Document to part L1 of the Building Regulations on the ODPM web site, for example.

2) The heat loss through air changes can be significant and difficult to estimate. The programs give the industry standard values for air changes for different rooms. Adjust them if you have reason to believe that they are different for you.

3) The cylinder factor is there as a hangover from when boilers heated cylinders by gravity all the time. If you are going for a system with diverter valve and hot water priority, then you don't need this allowance.

4) There are other possible factors like exposure of the house and whether or not the heating is used intermittently. Add those in if they apply.

Reply to
Andy Hall

signature...strange. Anyway, my email address i snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net if you could send the program there it woul be very much appreciated.

Regards

And

-- AndyHingston

Reply to
AndyHingston

Ah. This is presumably on a web site access? Newsreader software has different arrangements

Since it's fairly large, I will use a service called Yousendit. This allows me to upload, then you get an email and can download.

Reply to
Andy Hall