Heading for worst housing market in a decade

I am the only who speaks sense on land, planning and housing.

It needs a public awareness programme that the UK has a surplus of land and that less than 7,.5% is actually built on. Then just change the laws. Then we can live amongst nature and not be in densely packed rabbit hutches on cheap and nasty developer estates.

A Cabinet Office report described the countryside as, "the near exclusive preserve of the more affluent sections of society." This countryside is largely empty.

"The vast majority of the British people have no right whatsoever to their native land save to walk the streets or trudge the roads" - Henry George.

The overwhelming vast majority of people who were killed in two world wars fighting for King & "Country" owned not one square inch of the land of the country. 0.66% of the population own 70% of the land.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

But if they have a mortgage (of say 90% of 200,000) then they owe the bank 180,000. So to move they must raise 110,000 to repay the mortgage plus whatever deposit is required on the ew property. And bankers being what they are getting a 120,000 house mortgaged at 100% in a falling market will be harder.

Reply to
DJC

The problem here is that *average* priced houses can always be bought by people with *higher than average* salaries. 'Average' of course has various meanings.

Especially in London and the South-East, there is a sufficiently large number of higher earners to pull the whole housing market up, because there is always someone who can afford to pay a higher price than you.

In Scotland there is still a problem with low average wages, and with incomers having sold in the SE and being able to afford to pay much more than locals, but we have far fewer of the very high earners than the SE. This puts something of a cap on house prices. A fourteen-bedroom Victorian townhouse in Edinburgh's West End is only £1,125,000 - you can pay that for a 2 bed flat in London (and the London flat will be leasehold).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

He's beginning to sound like a free marketeer. Maybe a way could be found to parcel up the air and charge people for breathing it, which is essentially what we've done with property.

We're all nimbies when we own a house and it's the beginning of our losing the plot. I've recently been sorting out the affairs of my ex father in law, who died recently, and it does tend to concentrate the mind. What are you in the end? A completed tax form, a few bits of furniture that won't fetch what the Millers Price Guide says, a well maintained garden, a few holiday videos that no one will ever watch, and some papers in the bureau that state your closing value on the world market (40% of which the government would like at your earliest convenience).

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 4775 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In article , Stuart Noble writes

Don't repeat your fathers mistakes.. Spend the bu**ger before the kids or government get their mitts on it!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

What you also have to remember is that the reason that lots of average people can afford expensive houses is inheritance. Many people round here who are now in their 70's and 80's only had very ordinary jobs own houses that are now worth £300K+ and year by year as they die this passes down to younger people. If you're an only child in an average job you may inherit more than you earn (net of tax) in a lifetime.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Well, exactly. That's why I can never understand people who say that you'll never get anywhere unless you're ambitious. that usually means that they're prepared to push others 'further down'.

Nobody's ambitious for the grave, which is where we all get.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes this is what I'm trying to convince SWMBO about, as to why next door have that enormous extension and can take 4 holiday's per annum.

Course if you and swimbo both are only children and inherit the 300 x 2 lucky U:))

Reply to
tony sayer

I am.

You speak some sense here. What is essential to life is sun, air, land and water. We are charged for water; yes the water, not just the processing it. We are charged indirectly for sun, as homes with open aspects have a high value and hence higher council tax band. In fact you have no right to sun in the UK, a large building can be built and block out your sun. We are changed for land, in rents. All we need is air to be packaged and that will be chargeable too.

We need to:

  1. Open up land and have the free market dictate most of the housing needs.
  2. Prevent monopolies on land ownership, and introduce Land Value Tax, scrapping council and income tax.
  3. Have a planning system that guarantees that people have direct sun on their homes and minimum sizes for rooms and homes and plots the house sits on.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Give that man a medal !

That is SO true, unfortunately its only with 1st hand experience that you realise this

care in the community.... Hmphh social services.... Hmphh yadayadayada [/rant]

regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Slow markets have been predicted every year for a while now. They have yet to materialise.

I did, but then I get to set my own salary and I realised I was underpaying myself.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

EX-father-IN LAW I said! Money goes to EX-wife. No, she won't take me back :-) Nobody minds the kids having the dosh but the tax man gets a lot of it because for some reason old people always think they've got more than 7 years to live.

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 4787 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

How do you prevent Mr Tax diving in?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

"nightjar .uk.com>"

underpaying

Ah, so you're the one driving the boom :-)

Reply to
Mike

One may, unless one's parents sold a desirable property in Hampshire and bought an undesirable property in the tramp's armpit of the known universe. One has increased significantly in value in the last 25 years and the other hasn't.

Not that I'm bitter, oh no.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Lots of ways - though I'm sure Obergruppenfuhrer Brown is working on shutting them all down one by one.

Reply to
Mike

Which armpit was that, then?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Go on. At least tell us where the armpit is :-)

Huddersfield ? Swansea ? Wrong part of Glasgow ? Kilmarnock even !

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well wouldn't disagree with the description but houses prices there are very healthy I believe.

Reply to
Mike