HARD concrete

Use glue, its safer.

Reply to
dennis

Completely :-)

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

Ho ho. Load bearing cupboards and the like: I think not. Although I'm always willing to be educated.

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

Well think about what holds the concrete together. it is just "glue" and aggregate. Tried pulling a wall tile off?

Reply to
dennis

So why don't people use glue to mount kitchen cabinets?

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

impact on

True but if the tip is blunt/flat the energy is disipated over a wider area and won't be as effective at smashing the material as it would be concentrated along the edge of a sharp bit.

Think of SDS as a powered rawl drill. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bosch

I guess 'cause it wasn't drilling as well as it should I was pulling back and clearing manually, I also tend to let the tool/drill tip rest/cool after a few tens of seconds drilling anyway, particulary on deep/large holes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Same reason people don't take notice of what Dennis says :-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Because screws into the walls are easier.

Reply to
dennis

Really? I see a red mist before my eyes and hear the ride of the valkyries as I smite that masonry into dust.

Reply to
dom

Aaaah!

&level2=3D1741&level3=3D4307&level4=3D30698&level5=3D&level6=3D>

They are actually a separate company, but they function as Screwfix's own "value" brand. They are at the very budget end of the market.

I have a biscuit jointer from them which is OK'ish. I'd suspect the hammer action is shagged.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

=3D&level2=3D1741&level3=3D4307&level4=3D30698&level5=3D&level6=3D>

I think I agree with your diagnosis, unfortunately. The chap I borrowed it from is not going to be happy at that news. Looks like I'm in the market for an SDS drill that'll stand up to light D-I-Y use.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

Might not be.

I've got a cheap B&Q 'Performance Pro' SDS drill that is a devil to get it to accept the bits deep enough in the chuck. Not properly locking and ye'll get no hammer. Pull, twist everything including the drill bit, which should drop an inch back from where it wrongly insists on resting.

And then there's me later cursing to get the bit out... Might be shopping for a new hammer one day, but only when this one breaks :)

Reply to
Adrian C

Think of UK DIY as a village. Dennis is our resident idiot.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bought a PPro router by mistake once;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

I just checked the hammer action. It is Shakespearean "...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". Makes all the right noises, but no hammer action at the chuck. What I thought was the hammer action, not being familiar with SDS hammer drills, was actually the vibration of the 'hammer action' in the drill body, but it's not being transmitted to the chuck. Something's broke. Ah well.

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

If the drill shank doesn't go into the chuck far enough (the chuck isn't properly lubricated) that can happen. What happens if you grease the shank of the drill and push it hard into the chuck?

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

an SDS drill with correct SDS bit will drive into concrete no problem. I recently had to drill 24 .. 18mm holes 175 deep into a 30N reinforced concrete raft .... SDS flew through it. This was not a huge beast just a standard 240V Bosch PBH240RE

Reply to
Rick Hughes