Handyman's Electrical work

The handyman at the stables was tasked with removing the canopy lights and replacing them with a loop-in conduit box and lid.

He nicely put live and neutral together in the same Wago connector but left the lightswitch in place.

Reply to
ARW

I've also seen duct tape taping the switch off which originally probably had a hand written note attached I think a lot of what we term bodges are there as it was meant to be short term as the owners were originally going to fit something on the end of the wires, but never got around to it, A bit like the live wall light cables in my sitting room wall. 2 cor TV mains cable with ends just cut. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I am always scarily tempted to do that ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Not sure why Wago themselves don't make this style, all the knock-off manufacturers seem to

Andy Burns

Possibly something to do with the insulation and break down voltage between connectors?

Reply to
alan_m

Trouble is that sales are on from the the 24th. That means lots of Irish and a few French people that will mess with the light switches. One switch does the non existent canopy lighting the other does the stable lights.

I was only sent to find the fault on AB block and F300 to F325 block which is where someone has switched on both the canopy lights instead of just the stable lights. They share the same MCB.

If he has done that all the way down the stables that's a lot of switches or DBs to sort out.

Reply to
ARW

I think you'll find they do now, fairly recently introduced.

Reply to
Chris Green

They do a single gang 221-2241 "inline" connector, but compared to the knock-off, it looks a bit clumsy when combined with the two or three way carrier for a L/N or L/N/E connection

Reply to
Andy Burns

They do carriers for the inline connector so you can make up 'multi-way' ones.

Admittedly ready-made multi-ways would be neater. Some LED striplights I bought recently were supplied with two-way ones and I was a bit confused by them until I realised what they were.

Reply to
Chris Green

I thought it was common practice to connect L & N conductors at both ends of a disused cable just in case the cable was ever used again.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

makes this look good:

Animal

It's not really disused if still connected to the MCB

Reply to
ARW

Is that 1.5mmm flex coming out of the strip connector?

Reply to
ARW

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right! It is the business of the wealthy man To give employment to the artisan.

Reply to
wrights...

it must be, it's not loose sleeved

Reply to
Animal

I can't see strands after zooming in on the original photo

cd be from a bit of T&E cable from Ireland

Reply to
Robin

I was wondering if there is a crimp on the end. BTW you have email

Reply to
ARW

Interesting viewpoint. Many years ago, when I could see, somebody was troubled by one of these new fangled Earth leakage thingamajigs tripping. It was on a lighting circuit, and I rather rashly said I'd have a look. Everything looked great, but in the end in one ceiling rose, somebody had not done the screws up and it had arced, goodness knows how long for, and the whole block was basically frazzled and blotchy brown. It was a woolies one which was supposed to be white. Disabling the whole lot temporarily cured the issue. Some of these new fangled gadgets can be pretty sensitive! Of course he would have had to change the rose in any case as I cracked the screw on top trying to get it off with its 20 layers of paint and baking from the old fashioned bulb 6 inches away on a frazzled cable. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

guess it must be, hadn't thought of that

no, one end folded, one not iirc.

Reply to
Animal