Handyman

I am exactly the customer I suggested he try for: the owner of a small business who needs someone to do property maintenance work. The sort of customer who knows that shiny tools haven't seen much use.

That is the other end of the spectrum. I wouldn't trust that workman either. I want someone with well-used, but well-looked after tools.

How much of that makes their work any better? All it does is to enable the company to sell itself better, which is not the same as providing a good service.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

They are actually nice and shiny.

You shouldn't have to pay a price. People paid the price because the alternative was hassle, mess and dirt.

British tradesmen have this attitude to have someone pass the tools. The Yanks, have tool belts and the likes all for one man working. They can do it all by themselves, because they are brought up that way and have the equipment to do it that way.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

SNIP

Off topic here, but I have noticed that Eddie Stobbart no longer follows those rules, since I suspect that the man himself retired. Sad, they have even changed their livery, I wonder how they will do now.

Reply to
Broadback

The Stobbart regime is still in place. They still to be smart in appearance, and have their vehicles clean and clear at all times. Their drivers can actually be fined for not keeping up the appearance of the company. A great incentive if you ask me. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I think it's already been sewn up between Dewalt fleeces, JCB boots and Bob The Builder baseball caps.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"nightjar .uk.com>"

It all adds to the image. If the van looks professional and clean you are more likely to note the telephone number on the side or back. If someone turns up in 10 year old battered Transit, confidence lowers. You would not note the number on a battered filthy Transit.

If you get the 80% right the 20% falls into place.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Suttons of St. Helen's, with the half union jack on the front of the cab, were the largest truckers before Stobbart. They had more John Brown Gearboxes than John Brown and JB would direct people to them for a gearbox. After an all night drive a driver had to clean out the cab.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

In this case, beauty is most definitely skin deep.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article ,

Also your local Chamber of Trade may do sessions for people thinking of going self-employed by people who have done so.

A carpet fitter I have used has several magnetic sheet signs; one for each of the carpet shops he contracts for. He puts on the one for the right shop depending which he is doing a job for.

It also stops all the stuff in the back hitting you in the back of the head or going through the windscreen if you do an emergency stop.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A son in law did something similar - until they started being stolen :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Strange - you're continually recommending cheap power tools for pro use.

That, to me, would shout out new boy on the job.

As every true pro would.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Was this after you'd told him about your plastic pipe and hacksaw incident?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's fine if the customer is willing to pay for a brand new builder's truck. As he's the one who pays in the end.

Personally, I'd query a jobbing builder etc who has a new vehicle as it makes just no commercial sense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's not strange

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It is clear this one has not a clue. Sad but true.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Hi Mike

OK, so you sound like my target customer! I had thought of charging £30 for the first hour (minimum charge) & £20-25 per hour afterwards. Also though of a half day rate and a day rate.

Would that be in your budget?

I don't know where you live! I'm in north east Kent.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

But you've added more?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Prescisely. It is only about marketing and an over-emphasis on marketing usually indicates that profit is more important than quality.

Some of the best plastering I have ever had done was by three blokes who turned up in a battered Transit.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yes; our bulkhead has a big dent in it where a pallet hit it during an emergency stop. However, most vans these days have a framework behind the driving seat to protect the driver when a bulkhead is not fitted.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar