Hairline crack in ceiling

Hi

I have a hairline crack across my living room ceiling which is annoying but bearable. However previous attempts at filling and sanding to disguise It has left a wide band across the ceiling which looks a lot worse than the cr ack itself. What can I do to cover this band and hopefully make the whole t hing less noticeable?

Thanks

Alec

Reply to
alec green

Age of property? Strategy and prospects of success are different for plasterboard and lath and plaster.

Reply to
newshound

I believe it's plasterboard

Reply to
alec green

ut bearable. However previous attempts at filling and sanding to disguise I t has left a wide band across the ceiling which looks a lot worse than the crack itself. What can I do to cover this band and hopefully make the whole thing less noticeable?

First, hairline cracks are caused by differential movement due to temp & RH , and nothing can be done to stop them. Any attempt to prevent future crack ing doesnt work. Unfortunately many ignore this, and only cause damage tryi ng to stop future movement.

The solution is to fill/level the band of damage. Do it well & its invisibl e. Its much easier IME to level the filler when its applied, not sand it la ter. If the cracking is extensive it can be easier to skim the whole ceilin g.

When future hairline cracks occur, just wipe the crack with a finger with a bit of filler on. No gouging :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , alec green writes

When you say a wide band, why is this visible?

Do you mean you can see the egdes of the band, or is it because of the different material/absorption/texture that it shows.

Reply to
chris French

I have a hairline crack across my living room ceiling which is annoying but bearable. However previous attempts at filling and sanding to disguise It has left a wide band across the ceiling which looks a lot worse than the crack itself. What can I do to cover this band and hopefully make the whole thing less noticeable?

It has cracked because no scrim was applied when it was plastered, ie cowboy job.

All joins in plaster boards hould have scrim over the joint (Looks like a loose weave bandage) Any builders merchant will have it.

You won't fix it except by grinding off the plaster over the joint, applying scrim and replastering. You will need PVA on the old plaster and in the plaster you apply. (Polyskim is a lot easier, you can add PVA to thattoo)

Reply to
harryagain