Hair dye on the plastic window sill

Help my window sill (installed with upvc windows) is splattered with hair dye. I've tried everything to remove it. Or should I try to paint over it, if so with what?

Reply to
sofadog

It's certainly possible if you buy special primers & paints etc, but upvc doesn't really like to be painted and the surface may not be that durable.

Perhaps worth considering replacing the sill, or fitting a new upvc fascia board on top of it. Something like this :

Reply to
Steve Walker

Bugger - never knew that happened if you pressed that button...

Something like *this* :

Steve Walker

PVC paints well with oil based gloss paint. You use top-coat only, directly onto the PVC. The solvent in the paint actually dissolves into the PVC surface, so the paint forms a permanent bond with the PVC.

If the hair dye contains a solvent, it may be that this has carried the dye into the PVC surface, which may be why you can't get it off. Don't know much about hair dye, as would be obvious from my gray hair;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What have you tried?

I had a problem with 'wiping' a conservatory PVC window ledge and finding red spiders squashed bodies had left red maks everwhere, which were very hard to shift.

In the end dilute bleach did the job.

DJ

Reply to
David J

thanks everyone for suggestions. I have tried bleach, jif, cillit bang, nothing works. I think I may give gloss paint a go, but Homebase have told me there is a UPVC paint, however they no longer stock it. So, I'm on the hunt for UPVC paint...........

Reply to
sofadog

Another thought - there is a PVC cleaner which window fitters use to clean off any dirty marks they make. It will be available from PVC stockists (usually found on a local industrial estate).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If it is only on the surface then you could try sanding it down. I've seen it done using progressively finer grades of wet-and-dry.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May