Guttering: how to test for correct fall

What should be the fall for a 10m roundline plastic gutter installation?

I have installed the gutters and was testing it last night. I emptied half a watering can in at the far end. Water emerged eventually at the down-spout end.

But this morning I checked. Some water was still present in most of the gutter, after a dry night. I'm not sure whether this is due to a strong Westerly breeze blowing or maybe my slope isn't steep enough.

Should a gutter shed *all* incoming water within a couple of minutes, say? Or will it retain some due to surface tension/muck/prevailing winds?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

1" fall for each 16' of gutter.

5mm fall for each 3m of gutter.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

1" fall for each 16' of gutter = 25mm in every 4877 mm = 1 in every 195

5mm in each 3000mm = 1 in every 600

thats quite a difference

methinks something is in error :-) or that as long as the drop is down then the ratio isn't that crucial? sources?

Henry

Reply to
Henry

In message , Henry writes

Marley quote a fall of 1:600 on their website.

I don't think it matters that much. In fact you don't necessarily need a fall at all. Marley suggest a level gutter for eaves gutters as it keeps the gutter nearer the roof line, so minimising the risk of water missing the gutter. It does reduce the capacity of the gutter of course though.

Re water remaining in the gutter, I think it's pretty normal to have a little bit of water left lying in the bottom of the gutter, as long as it's not pooling because the gutter dips.

Marley seem to have a fair bit of info on their website:

Reply to
chris French

should shed all quite quickly or you will get a build up of dust/debris in the dips and spillage when there is a storm. 1 in 40 for drains could be too steep for a gutter but any fall is better then none.

jacob

Reply to
jacob

So 10 metres will need about 2/3 of an inch fall. Sounds like I need to move some of the brackets then. But the union brackets seem to cause a slight "U" dip purely because they are installed from under the smooth gutter.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Roof guttering can actually be fitted on the level. It then relies on the height of water in the gutter itself to flush it out. So you don't need massive running levels on things like this. A reasonable amount of drop on the length you have is around half an inch over the full length.

The last thing you want on a guttering system, is to have it flush to quickly, because this tends to drag large pieces of debris down the stack pipe, instead of just seeping passed obstacles, and can cause blockages at the junctions when they get stuck. So the gutter needs just a shallow run to allow the rain water to drain away, not gush and cascade along the system.

Reply to
BigWallop

No, the last thing you want is for it to drain AWAY from the spout.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

height of water in the gutter itself to flush it out. <

That seems to be what is happening at the moment. Most of the water heads for the outlet, but some is left behind. Maybe I should fit it all up, then check it when we get some rain, rather than endless faffing about moving the support brackets.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Stop it Mary!!! I said further up in my reply, that the guttering only needs something like a half an inch of a drop along its full length. Have you ever watched a fast flowing river flush debris down to a point where everything gets dammed up and raises the height of water? Then this also happens in a guttering system if the water runs along it to quickly.

Reply to
BigWallop

It's normal to have guttering on a very shallow run, and rely on the height of water to create a run to the downpipe. Because of movement on the roof and in the building structure, the guttering can become higgle dee piggle dee in shape and cause bits to drop slightly and catch the water. This doesn't do any harm unless the drop is enough to cause a dam and the water level in the gutter comes over the edges instead of going down the pipework.

Reply to
BigWallop

Yessir!

I said further up in my reply, that the guttering only

I know. You should see our garage gutter.

It will be replaced.

Our house roof gutter is splended now that we have the seamless stuff, no water stays in it but if rubbish collected in it we'd put a cage over the spout.

As it is it's very deep and copes beautifully with all the roof run-off in the heaviest rain. Which we haven't had for agesand I'm having to save every drop of wash water for the vegetables.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah! Now! Collecting rain water for an irrigation system is a different matter. The system can be designed to give higher flow rates to fill a butt' and then reduce the flow when the fill level has been reached. It's a bit more technical, but not that much. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

As has been mentioned, a small drop toward the down-pipe is all that is required. In fact, if you have wooden fascias that aren't painted too often, you don't want a large drop because splashback fron the gutter will hit the fascia, whereas if the gutter is nearly level, splashback is mainly caught by the underside of the tiles. I have a drop of approximately an inch along my gutters. I used a laser line indicator and spirit level to get the brackets right.

Andy

Reply to
andrewpreece

I'm sure you're right but we never reach the fill level because of the connected butts.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Do you just allow the collection tanks to overflow in to drains?

Reply to
BigWallop

Hoses between butts keep the water level at the same height. There's no overflow. We don't waste water.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

How is it collected? If you have a rain water collection system, and a heavy down pour, don't you get the collections tanks overflowing?

Reply to
BigWallop

Rain falls on the roof.

The roof slopes down to the gutters, therainwater slides down thesloping roofto the gutter.

There are outlets in the gutter which allow the water to flow into fall pipes.

A few feet above the ground is a diverter which allows water from the fall pipe into a large water butt, the water flows into that.

That butt is connected to other butts by means of a hosepipe. The water level is the same in all the butts.

We've never had enough rain to fill all the butts at the same time, I doubt that even the heaviest overnight fall would fill two separate butts.

There is also a hose attached to the bottom of one butt which connects to a perforated hose in the greenhouse, I turn the tap to this hose on when I expect rain in dry weather so there is always a trickle to water the greenhouse plants.

In the mornings I fill watering cans from the butts to spot water other vegetables and the odd windowbox. There is never a surplus.

We never have done yet. If there was too much water for all the connected butts - which is highly unlikely given our system - the water from the fall pipe wouldn't go through the diverter into the butt, it would go straight into the drain. The tanks can't overflow from rainwater.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I measured the fall last night.

14mm for 9.5 metres of gutter.

I guess the best thing is to wait for rain and see how it functions...

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps