guttering angles

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Interesting geometry stuff, I was really just wondering why there were=20 no cheap mass manufactured guttering angles other than 90 and 135=20 available, I know mine is not the only house in the world with 5 segment =

bays and I've seen houses with more, why should I have to pay 12 times=20 as much, especially as I need more angles pieces as well....

OR why not make flexible gutterring out of ridged (concertina-ed (is=20 that a real word?) lightweight section) like airducting stuff .

ho hum...

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

=================================== I think guttering on bays is really quite rare and almost certainly unnecessary. Bays can be made to almost any shape (with totally unpredictable angles) so it would be almost impossible to make a range of gutter angles to suit all the whims of individual builders. In your situation I would be inclined to remove the gutter (if present and defective) and see how well you get on without it.

Of course if you really must have a gutter then DIY is the best bet. Creating the correct angles from plastic / cement has already been suggested but gutters can be made from different materials such as wood / lead, copper, aluminium etc. Personally, I wouldn't bother unless you have a particularly big bay with frequent heavy run-off.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

120 is also available, but why I don't know. Even if you make a lead lined gutter from wood, you're going to need the exact angles

I know mine is not the only house in the world with 5 segment

Might be worth getting a quote. IME firms that do guttering and soffits etc aren't that expensive, and at least you'd find out how possible it is.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

which might explain the availability (albeit scarce) of 120 angles.

I find it easier to visualise the whole polygon so that 3 sides of 8 gives you 135 degs, 3 sides of 6 gives 120 and, as you say, half a 10 sided polygon produces an angle of 144. The OP's estimate of 150 degs would equate to half a 12 sided i.e. a 6 section bay. I think...

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I think the extra side is a red herring though my brain isn't functioning well enough to be sure.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

================================== I think that you're assuming sections of regular polygons - equal sides / equal angles. This isn't usually the case with window bays.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yesbut, you are (perhaps?) missing the point that, for aesthetic reasons, it's not half of a regular polygon. The half polygon is squished up against the house so it ceases to be regular. All one is left with then is (for a odd number of sections, 3,5 whatever), the facts that: the central section is parallel to the opening and the sections are equal width. From this, using geometry you can work out the gutter angles once you have chosen/measured the angle the first section on either side leaves the house wall at (what I call the leaving angle).

As it happens I have a 5 bay window that I measured last night. The gutter angle for mine is about 155degrees with a leaving angle of roughly

55degrees. My bay covers two floors and the rendered bit between windows is a smooth curve, finishing with lead flashing above the downstairs window turned up to form a small gutter so run-off is off either side.

As to the OP, he might be better to do without, add lead flashing to move drips away from the window or have a bespoke section made (look for people who do zinc or lead roof work.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

It's not just the run off from the bay I'm worried about, it's all the=20 water from the front of the main roof, which in the last few days has=20 been pretty spectacular!

Anyway lots of suggestions there, thank you everyone, --- I'm off to=20 buy some pvc cement and a hacksaw....

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

You may need to 'lap' another piece of guttering oner the join for best strength..put a small section in the oven until it goes soft..think its about 100C or so - and use gloves to 'form' it round the glued together sections, and then glue it on.

A butt joint is never that good, but with a lapped joint it is EXTREMELY strong.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

lots of previous posts clipped:.>>>

Thanks for that tip I was thinking along those lines anyway.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

=================================== Is there no gutter on the front of the main roof, or is it blocked up? It would be worth checking before you start work on the bay.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Its all part of the same gutter, our bay has a flat leaded bit that=20 sticks out from the from of the house and its guttering is just part of=20 the main front of house gutter.

In my travels today I've seen many houses of similar design (1930's=20 semi) some have gable rooves over the bay but many do not.

All the flat leaded roofed bays seem to have guttering on them.

My guttering is actually working ok now, but tends to drip at the joints =

because of the added stress of the angles not really being the right=20 ones for the angles of the bay, which pushes things out of shape=20 especially when filled with heavy water load. Also now I've noticed=20 they're not right, it bugs me....

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic