Grown oak crooks

Son and friend have just had to cut down an oak tree that was hanging precariously over part of the house. He was planning to use the wood in his stove, but I am aware of the use of grown oak crooks in traditional boatbuilding and probably other trad applications.

Does anyone know if there is a "market" for these sorts of things? Any advice on what to do? I don't want him to waste what seems to be valuable items by cutting it up in the wrong way.

Reply to
Bill

Might help to mention where you are

NT

Reply to
NT

Not far from Chester, on Wirral.

Reply to
Bill

They're at the wrong side of the country, and I doubt they could afford to pay (the college barely keeps its head above water) - but these people do wonderful things:

International Boatbuilding Training College

dom

We used to carry a pattern in the landrover to match up against interesting bits for a (rowing) boatbuilder at Chertsey, I don't remember giving him more than a handful and I know I never got paid for them.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Well, it has led me to some interesting stuff anyway. The Forestry Commission pdf relating to green oak is fascinating.

I fed in some information and then left them to it, and I understand the tree is now down and cleared away, whatever that means.

I suspect that this isn't the sort of thing for which money changes hands. When we built our boat, I was given lots of left overs by previous builders and I've passed quite a bit on.

Reply to
Bill