Grout Finger!

I have just finished tiling my En-Suite and have suffered what I call Grout Finger. This is when the skin on the ends of my index and middle finger being worn away while grouting. The part of the grouting I have trouble with is areas such as around the window frame and where the tiles meet the ceiling. Does anybody have any tips or advice on how to do these areas painlessly as using the squeege or sponge doesn't get the grout 'right into the crack'. I have tried rubber and latex gloves but these wear out very quickly and I'm back to square one. Any full time tilers out ther that could pass on any tips?

TIA

John

Reply to
John

Wickes sell a shaped, rubber doobrie [1] for smoothing silicon that might work.

Si

[1] Technical term
Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I normally use a pencil with the eraser on the end. The rubber is brilliant at getting a nice shape on the grout.

Reply to
BigWallop

Plasplugs do a set of grout smoothers for different grout widths...

However, after watching a couple of real tiling pros I generally don't smooth the grout but use the diagonal sponge wiping method, its so quick. If I do smooth I wear latex gloves because I don't want fingerprint lines in the grout. I apply the grout and squeeze/shape-it into awkward places with old credit card or similar. I don't use ready mixed grout, its a waste of time. The cement based powder is so much more workable.

Reply to
BillR

There you go - same sort of thing, a tenth of the price.

Smartypants :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Yeah, but it's not a doobrie, is it? ;-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message <bmru9s$kgk$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com>, John snipped-for-privacy@idontlikespam.co.uk> writes

That leaves 8 more digits - yes it's abrasive stuff, bit I always just grin and bear it

You could always try the Kung fu trick

Reply to
geoff

Is that the one were you say "What Kung Fu that at me" ?

Reply to
BigWallop

In message <FSFkb.366$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net>, BigWallop <spamguard@_spam_guard.com> writes

No it's where they say " that fu kung sand's hot"

Reply to
geoff