Greenhouse Heaters - Gas or Electric - Which is best?

Hello, at the moment I am heating my greenhouse by a 3 kw Electric heater. but the electric bill is getting rather large!

I am thinking of switching to a Propane Gas heater of 2 - 3 kw, has anybody any thoughts about this?

Thank you,

Tony.

Reply to
Redrose

what about Paraffin?

My Mum gets 4 gallons each autumn from what's left in the paraffin tank in our stock room and that does her all winter.

Although her greenhouse is only a small one.

Reply to
PeTe33

Why heat the whole greenhouse? I am currently bringing on approx 250 Busy Lizzies and 100 Geraniums in an electrically heated propagator (within a greenhouse). This is a bed of sand with an insulated base and an 80W soil warming cable. On top is a 4' x 2' cold frame insulated with bubble plastic. In a worst case scenario with external temp below zero, the air temp in the propagator is always above 8C. I have used this system for 4 or 5 years and have had no problems.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Regarding Gas, this makes a great deal of moisture in the air, so will need well ventilating, which rather negates the purpose. As far as electric is concerned, assuming you are aware of the saftey needs,

3Kw sounds a bit OTT, I have used a 700w convector heater this year, on a timer, 1 hour on 1 hour off, even with -5c havent lost any plants or seedlings yet. regards Cineman

Reply to
cineman

I'm thinking of running electric to my greenhouse how do you get a double socket to stick to glass?

Reply to
htmark98

Yeah know how electrics just never seen sockets in an all glass house, seen them on a brick/glass ones. How do you stick wood to a couple of cms of aluminum which is very soft stuff?

Reply to
htmark98

Screws. Easy.

Spouse installed a two gang socket at eye level in my greenhouse. I only wanted one for a heater but he said he knows me, I'll only want more for something - lights perhaps - in the future.

Still haven't used the second.

But I don't understand why water is any more of a problem in a greenhous than its anywhere else.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Gas and paraffin also add wter vapour and CO2, which may be good for plants.

Lost cheaper than lectrickery

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And I beleive current regs/law, is that this should be installed by a qualified electrician, or checked by one, and a safety cert. issued. I'm told cost of check and cert is around £80! Take care my friend.

Reply to
BoyPete

It usually arrives when numpties install sockets at levels normally found in living rooms, IE about knee height, then forget, then during a dry spell go in there with a hosepipe, flash / bang /wallop, as they say. I have a double socket and a fluorescent light...I also have piped mains gas and have a small camp stove in there right now on the lowest setting with a steel shovel lying over the flame, which is around 3mm high, all of this is directly below a frame which is similar to Malcolm's mentioned above....the shovel gets hot but not so hot that it glows, I doubt if the gas used is as much as a pilot light on a boiler.

Reply to
Phil L

He could do the same as dozens of other people and run an extension lead down there, it will only be for 3 or 4 weeks at the most, once May gets here it will be redundant.

Reply to
Phil L

Try Maplin or any real electrical supplier, and explain the problem. They'll have an in-line waterproof connection set which won't need to be attached to anything, just hung out of the way. You should be fused down for power coming from the house wiring, of course (as if I ever bothered!).

Reply to
Mike Lyle

Use a TIG welder.

HTH.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Double side sticky tape for speed

Reply to
Mike

Well duh.

You drill a square hole in the glass and use a dry-lining box

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sort of. This would probably come under part P of the building regs. You have the choice of getting it installed by someone who is a member of one of the recognised organisations who can self certify. Put in a building regs application - the local BCO will organised whatever inspection they require. There are fees for BR applications.

Ignore Part P, and just do it.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Redrose writes

how big?

To what temp are you heating - a few degrees makes a lot of difference. Is the Gh insulated with Bubble wrap etc., are you heating the whole lot or have you partitioned off a bit?

Reply to
chris French

Car body filler

Reply to