Good brand of latches?

For internal doors.
I tapped on my son's bedroom door the other day. The door wouldn't
open. Nor when he tried. So I got a screwdriver and took the handle
off. The little square hole in the latch for the drive shaft would go
round and round quite happily. A little lateral thinking later and I
got him to drive the pins out of the hinges, then levered the door
across a bit, gave it a smart tap and the hinges popped off so at least
he could get in and out. But it's kind of worrying that the doors might
decide to sulk like this - especially as the latch on that one is only a
few months old, as the old one wore off.
The reason it failed seems to be a dodgy casting:
of bubbles, and IAC IMHO totally the wrong metal - it ought to be
steel or brass, not some zinc-rich things like it seems to be.
The real reason I'm writing this is - can anyone recommend a decent make
so I can replace them as they die with decent ones? They normally
fail gradually, but they still fail to often for my liking.
Ta
Andy
Reply to
Andy Champ
ERA.
English Racing Automobiles???
Some of the others around the house are tagged "Mafol" - or something like that, the F isn't too clear.
Andy
Reply to
Andy Champ
IME they aren't desinged to last long under any sort of stress, they need to be a very free fit in the latch plate.
Might be easier to adjust the existing ones before they jam up.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman
Let me cut that to the right bit:
"they aren't desinged to last long".
As for adjust... his door rattles, I really ought to tighten it up!
Andy
Reply to
Andy Champ

Site Timeline Threads