Gone quiet again

That is just it, I'm getting no new threads in the main, only old ones unless I start them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was told this was for just a short while. I personally feel that this blanket approach is bad. Surely these days the author or text of a post can be a give away more than the gateway in. We all know that casual users tend to use Google accounts, but there are many others from elsewhere which used to be an issue, in the end abolishing spam could abolish the usefulness of the medium. Text takes up little room and nobody forces people to read something they are not interested in, after all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What is n i n then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've certainly not seen any of the home owners club in weeks now. The underlying problem there is a bad website design in my view, It seemingly does not even make quoting easy, and bundles stuff by month regardless of year or so it seems. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have to use gmail since soon, Virgin much like all the other ISPs will no longer provide email as part of the package, and google is probably the easiest to set up. However, some third party email also uses gmail facilities so if they are detecting google all of those will end up blocked, which is why its a bad idea in general to call all google stuff as blocked. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's a German based newsserver that used to be free but then they started charging €10 per annum. (news.individual.net)

Reply to
Max Demian

In message <ul1moq$2701n$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Trees don't seem to mind. Witness the plastic protectors incorporated into new tree plantings!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've had a sub with them for at least 15 years - back then it was free. Still good value.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Look at it this way.

Homeownershub would receive an unfiltered feed of uk.d-i-y posts. And the spam in there, would upset the operator of that facility just as it has upset us. Perhaps disconnecting was a solution (for the time being).

A check using netfront read-only server, shows you've been spared some spam activity. If you are seeing spam, it could be a lot worse. This group looks like rec.arts.tv when you view it on netfront. It's because of filtering that it's actually usable.

I'm not convinced there is a lot of "blocking" going on regarding Google posts, but there is a variable amount of "filtering" going on. E-S has changed from a one-server design, to a two-server design during this era, and the transit server is fitted with filtering to reduce the spam level, then the real-server distributes the cleaned-up feed. Apparently some other (small) operators, already had a transit server on their setups (making it easier to fit filters without disrupting news clients from the side effects).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Based at Berlin University, I think.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Correct. And managed by DFN, the German academic research network.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There's one today, about drawer runners.

Reply to
Davey

If most of what people see from a certain platform is spam then the best solution is just to block everything from it. One filter and the problem goes away for the recipient. At one time blocking everything from AOL made the on-line experience more enjoyable.

Reply to
alan_m