Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomi ssioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pressur e during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Duct tape?

Reply to
David

Yup - a two part plumbing repair putty ought to.

Failing that, see "plumbers gold" from toolstation - its a MS glue / sealant that will stick to anything and set underwater.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think most of it is ABS. You would need to find some really high quality stuff for it to be uPVC, which is unlikely in any range of overflow pipe.

Is it solvent weld or pushfit (look at the existing fittings). The two are a slightly different diameter. If pushfit, cut right through, and use a pushfit straight coupler.

Another option - if you have any spare, cut off a 1 inch length, and cut through one side of the resulting ring. Check if the ring will now clip over the existing pipe without the ring breaking. You could make a second cut in it to make a bigger opening if necessary. If this works, take it off, paint the inside with solvent weld, and clip it back on over the hole, making sure it makes good contact around the hole.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Would something like be more suitable?

(

Peter Parry

If you can get right round it easily, then a few turns of ordinary PVC electrical tape, under tension, will make a surprisingly good repair.

Plumbers epoxy putty is an alternative if it is hard to wrap, as another poster said a bit of roughening will do no harm.

There are two sorts of solvent weld pipe and fitting; ABS and PVC, and they have different "solvents". One will work OK on the other, but not the other way round. Google should tell you which.

Reply to
newshound

Jubilee clip and a bit of rubber hose. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case , so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be deco missioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero press ure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

thanks everyone for the suggestions, epoxy putty it is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

le. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this ca se, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be de comissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pre ssure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Finally got there to do the job. Unfortunately the unibond epoxy putty turn ed out to be no use, didn't grip onto the pipe enough to stop the water dri bbling through. The pipe is pvc, not ABS.

I guess that leaves plumber's gold, unless anyone has other ideas. Clamps, tape, pipe etc won't work due to the shape. And there's just no room to cut pipe off & redo, otherwise I would.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

hole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero p ressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

rned out to be no use, didn't grip onto the pipe enough to stop the water d ribbling through. The pipe is pvc, not ABS.

, tape, pipe etc won't work due to the shape. And there's just no room to c ut pipe off & redo, otherwise I would.

Something thinner than the putty thicker than glue might do it. I might try mixing glue with putty.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Superglue MIGHT just set and grip. Water sets it, and although its hygroscopic i THINK, it should seal

a bandage soaked in some is worth a try

Another possible approach if you can get the pipe dry is bike puncture repair kit and use the rubber 'solution' and a patch

I've used evostik (old solvent type) to glue to PVC before and its not too bad. You CAN peel it off, but not easily

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Self amalgamting tape will form well around almost any shape and for a pinhole you'd only need a couple of turns over it.

Or a hot knife or perhaps a better temeprature controlled soldering iron and experiment on some scrap tube to find a good temp and just wipe it over the pin hole..

Reply to
Dave Liquorice