Glass tile adhesive, what to do now!!!!

Hi, something of a connundrum, I fitted about 30 of these pricey glass tiles (B&Q tile gallery, supplied by Ceramic Prints ltd) as a decorative strip in a bathroom job. They are a sheet of glass with a sort of paint backing to give the colour, about 4mm thick overall. The tiles needed to be brought forward to match the thicker surrounding tiles so I set them on blobs of neutral curing silicone. When the cartridge ran out I changed to an acetoxy silicone. Big mistake, three weeks later all these failed, the paint layer peeling off as viewed through the tile. Even previously unaffected corner tiles were ruined by contact with the silicone corner bead. Much acrimonious discussion with B&Q, eventually they told me to get lost because 'I had not complied with the manufacturer's recommendations'. Pointing out that they did not make any recommendations got me nowhere, they knew full well that it was not economic to sue them, bastards. Anyway I bit the bullet and pulled the tiles off, resetting them on a thick bed of Granfix Radidset, a cement based product and as unsilicony as I could get. Blow me, a month on and all these have failed, even worse than before. So now I 'm really fed up and ring the manufacturer (no phone number on the packaging, quite hard to find) and ask them for their 'recommendations'. A very polite but obviously young and non-technical office girl read me an internal report saying the product had been tested with two sorts of adhesive and was ok, and that cement based adhesives would 'probably' be alright. The stuff they had tested was that air drying B&Q Value stuff which I think will take ages to dry at the thickness I need. When I do the job for the third time what do you think is a safe bet? Neutral curing silicone? Can't get more of the original as it was a boot fair buy of unknown type. By the way, don't buy this product, and don't ever expect B&Q to behave decently when they have the upper hand

Reply to
Peter

Mirror mastic. As is well known to any practitioner skilled in the arts, mirror backing is fragile. A suitable mastic is available cheaply from Screwfix.

Serves you right then.

What did the product do wrong ? Next time I suggest you employ a competent tradesman to do the work for you, and stop watching Linda Barker makeover shows.

I'm glad that B&Q stood up to you. You mis-used a perfectly satisfactory prodyct that they sold to you in good faith, and now you're whining about it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

These types of tile are best fixed with the glass side inward and the coloured side out. The flimsy film backing acts like the silvering on the back of a mirror and any attempt to stick it to things invariably leads to the film peeling off the glass.

You can get mirror fixing adhesives that claim not to damage the film or silvering on the glass, but I haven't seen one yet that won't peel off when moisture gets to it as well.

Reply to
BigWallop