Glass cutters

What's the easiest type of glass cutter for the amateur to use - the scribing ones or the flat blade type ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

In my case, the easiest glass cutter is a bloke called Alan at my local glaziers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a diamond cutter. Definitely the best.

Reply to
harryagain

The wheel cutters are ok, but diamond is probably better.

Either way, it essential to make a *single* straight-line score mark across the glass before putting a couple of match-sticks under it to snap it along the score line. So you'll need a straight edge which isn't going to move around on the glass, and a firm grip on the cutter.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have a wheel, it works.

And don't pussy foot about either heavy pressure, single, moderately fast, non-stop movement. Dipping the the cutter in light oil (paraffin) seems to help as well. It should "squeal" rather than "crunch".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And you're a Handyman, posting in a D-I-Y group!

Reply to
Davey

Got a couple of bits cut last week and, after scoring, the chap just picked it up and lightly bashed the far edge (the one parallel to the score mark) on the table.

Tink!

And it was in two.

Reply to
Scott M

In my intimate circle 'diamond cutter' is the usual term for a very hard penile erection.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Doesn't mean it's not the right answer!

Reply to
newshound

Look at what the professionals use and it is not diamond.

Reply to
F Murtz

What is it then ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Well, that is true. It just seems to go against the whole 'reason for being' of the newsgroup!

Reply to
Davey

Plain old ordinary wheel type. very rare for them to use diamond.

Reply to
F Murtz

Yes and no if you are cutting a long straight line like for a windowpane a wheel is still what every glazier would use for curved cuts like in leaded lights or stained glass a diamond is easer to use

-
Reply to
Mark

Some jobs are not easy, e.g. plastering

Reply to
Michael Chare

I prefer the wheel cutters myself, but probably only because I was brought up with them. I can cut my own glass for simple straight cuts - the trick is to make one clean scratch with the right pressure in a single fluid steady movement across the glass at near constant pressure.

Practice first on scrap glass from old windows (which it actually much harder to cut well because it is covered in microscratches).

But if you want to do anything complicated by way of shapes then it is much easier to go to your local glass supplier. Mine has done me a circular fan hole in awkward tulip patterned bathroom glass, and fan light windows with two different radius ends one convex & one concave.

I know I would get through a lot of glass to get just one right.

Reply to
Martin Brown

IIRC the pro wheel cutters have a container for the lubricant, and the ball on the end of the handle is for tapping the score line to start the crack. Piece of cake when you have a lot of glass but tricky when it's your last piece.

Reply to
stuart noble

The professional leadlighters still use wheels,amateurs sometimes use diamond

Reply to
F Murtz