Glass bricks

Can anyone offer advise on the fixing of glass bricks into a brick wall?

Reply to
seantovey

Sorry - I just hate glass bricks, so 90s :)

Reply to
Geoffrey

There are 2 videos here and PDF installs files here on the link 'Install Methods'.

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote: oops! forgot the other link as well.

Select fixing methods.

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I remember the toilets at primary school having greenish glass brick walls, in the 1970s.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The 60's was the earliest recollection of having them in the home, trendy folk I believe they where called then(the DIY people),that is.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

They've been around forever. ;-)

I've been using then in my current renovation job, not so much as a style statement but to bring light into many quarters of the house especially the bathrooms where there is no natural light. The alternative is using plain glass and it looks s**te.

To the OP, if you're thinking of sticking them into brick walls then you'll need the correct lintel for support as you would for any opening. For your opening, calculate the amount of blocks - normally 90mm each, add the spacing for each grout line and the size of the frame plus some extra to work with. The grout lines can vary to your taste. I used 6mm but you can use anything up to 10mm.

To get the plaster flush with the frame (if that's what you want) you'll more than likely need to chase back the plaster a good few inches from the opening as most plastered walls are done by eye rather than to a level thickness.

Reply to
daddyfreddy