Gim?

I'm just fixing new curtains up, I'm using a "gimlet" to make holes, has anyone ever seen a full sized "Gim"?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

I use a doublet to look at small items.

Has anyone seen a full sized Doub?

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Yes, it's called an auger :-)

[Middle English, from Anglo-Norman guimbelet, perhaps from Middle Dutch wimmelkijn, diminutive of wimmel, auger.]

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I was told that 'mallet' is a small er, 'mall' - never bothered to check.

Reply to
PeterC

I was very puzzled when I bought a reversing sensor kit and the instructions said to mark the holes to be drilled with a wimble. I assumed it was nonsense until I looked it up.

Anyone here use that term for a gimlet?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

How come if you take something apart you dismantle it, but when you put it back together you don't mantle it?

Can you be ept? Or plussed? Or capacitated? Can you travel cognito?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Never mind Gimlet, what about Biggles?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I am annoyed by the fact that things are now "flammable", whereas they used to be "inflammable" (from "inflame"). Elfin safety, I suppose, but it grates. "Flammable" is actually in old dictionaries, so can't complain, but I decline to use it.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

I suppose that molishes sense.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In t'shed 'molish' is used.

ecstatic - static?

Reply to
PeterC

ISTR that it was changed due to the ESN taking inflammable to mean 'unburnable'.

Reply to
PeterC

Well, if one of the parts you're putting back in/on is a mantle, you probably _do_ mantle it.

#Paul

Reply to
kinslerp

You do if you are a sheddi (uk.rec.sheds)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

such a lot of replies to an idle thought while taking a break, I'm quite gruntled now.

Reply to
clumsy bastard