Gigabit network cabling

OK, it's sorted. ZyXEL switch and cable through the wall.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Don't you need Cat6 cable for gigabit support?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

No, Cat5e is sufficient.

Cat6a is rated for 10 gig IIRC.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No. Gigabit often runs fine over Cat 5e.

In a "stressful" environment (e.g. within a server rack or somewhere with much electromegnetic interference possibility), or at longer length, then certainly use Cat6.

Reply to
polygonum

Thanks, I'll keep them in mind, it was their ADSL modem/routers that I found a bit plasticky and under documented.

Reply to
fred

Cat 5e is fine in racks and under computer room floors snaking around with the mains :)

In server rooms, you tend to get relatively short runs to the nearest switch, so I guess that helps too.

Reply to
Tim Watts