Splitting an ethernet line

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the same time.

Many thanks

Reply to
Local hero

Local hub? - they are cheap as chips these days

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Cheap switch eg TP-LINK TL-SF1005D 5 Port 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch, Google it.

Allan

Reply to
Al

Probably even cheaper if you search for Ethernet Switch on Amazon or Ebay and buy the cheapest. You will also need two patch-cables. The existing Ethernet cable plugs into the switch then you use Ethernet patch cables to connect each of the computers to the switch. You can use both computers simultaneously and can use the network to copy files between them.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

router

NT

Reply to
meow2222

... and you can share your printer(s) between the two PCs without juggling cables. And use each PC to back-up the user data of the other. And log in from one PC to t'other, thus avoiding cluttering your desktop with two keyboards, mice and screens.

Reply to
nemo

Two "cable economisers" (assuming you aren't running gigabit).

A couple of couplers

And four patch cables:

s=patch+ cable+1m

And at least one more free port on your router/modem/switch.

Wozzat 20 quid? Think a 5 port switch for between £5 and £10 is an awful lot simpler and cheaper... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A switch is the obvious answer, but an alternative is that if one of the machines has two ethernet ports then connect the other machine and the incoming cable to that, and then bridge the interfaces in the network control panel.

Reply to
John Rumm

By the tone of your posting, it seems you're not in the habit of routinely transferring files between different computers on your LAN, just after easy access to the internet.

On that basis, a cheap 5 port 10/100 Mps ethernet switch will be your best solution (along with a couple of 2 or 3 metre ethernet patch cords).

If the new desktop computer only raises the PC count to two and the old one only has a fast ethernet (100Mbps) LAN port, this solution will nicely fit your requirements and more (I'll leave it to others to explain the "and more" bit).

Reply to
Johny B Good

How many ethernet ports does the router have?

Reply to
Adrian

Or get a KVM switch to allow one mouse, keyboard and screen to be shared and alternated between the two PCs

Reply to
thescullster

One of those network extenders or a network switcher which extends the address range too. I could never make it work the way you porpose with the second one hanging dead on a plug, Too much load I'd imagine. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

acutuially you CAN send TWO sets of 100MPS ethernet down a single cable..but its an awful hack...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So go for the Gigabit version of the switch. With this, the OP can look at using Network-attached servers (NAS)for storage and backup, printers with a LAN interface, etc. without worrying about the bandwidth left in the switch for another computer to be using the relatively slow Internet connection. Even if the current connections to the switch are only 100Mbps max, the Gbps switch will future-proof the installation - I speak from experience...

The OP will need the internet router configuring to do network address translation and, possibly DHCP, but that shouldn't be a problem, assuming he does have a router as part of his network connection.

Reply to
John Weston

just buy a weensy switch, or make one computer a bridge with a second ethernet card...a 4 port switch is peanuts to buyy

-- TP link 100Mps at 6 quid and a bit from 'Amazin'

Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the replies - all are copied out to study and decide on once the new computer arrives. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Reply to
Local hero

The simplest and In My Experience is a small gigabit switch. I expect your router is gigabit anyway but a gigabit switch is backwards compatible and can have 10/100/1000 Kb devices plugged in and happily chatting away.

Just done the same thing in my sons bedroom where I had only installed a single ethernet socket but with the advent of "smart" TV, HI-Fi with "internet radio" and wanting to plug a laptop in, just utilised an old 5 port Netgear switch.

Got to add one to the front room too as PVR, and various games consoles mean the 2 sockets originally fitted aren't enough. A switch is literally plug+go no technical knowledge or ability required.

Is the one I used but I expect there are cheaper models that will suffice..

:)

Reply to
nobody