Getting the paint off old beams

Perhaps he simply likes hitting the "g" spot! c

Reply to
mail

We bought a 500 year old house with lovely beams that weren?t so lovely as they had been painted black. I tried all sorts of stuff on a small test area, stripper chemicals, sandpaper, sand blasting (with a power hose and sand bucket adapter thing) and none worked well or was sooooooo slow it was too frustrating. The ?paint? was bitumen an runny plaster (to fill the holes I think) and layers of different paint.

In the end, what worked best was a drill with a carbon or nylon stripping wheel. It took ages, was very messy but was the fastest and didn?t harm the oak. I then had to get into the corners with a wire brush and sandpaper.

Good luck!

Reply to
Alexander Pilkington

But not as long as 13 years, I bet?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well you never know if it was in fact Creosote, he might have needed medical treatment as well! Where do these old messages come from? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I did ours with a flap wheel. Or rather two, as the first one wore out.

Yes, it took ages. And it's just a little dusty...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

+1 Jonathan