Getting a damaged screw out

Try a Goggle image search for push fit wheel arch panel fastener for hundreds of the things.

Shows one, they are all push fit for speed of assembly.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Only have the weller and don?t want to f*ck it up and its only a pointed tip anyway.

Reply to
Jac Brown

This one isnt.

There is with this one.

Yes, but that happens when its screwed in with this one.

Not with this one. I can see it's a proper threaded hole because the one I am having a problem with is one of a pair and I can unscrew the screw from the other one and see that the hole has a proper thread.

Likely because what the expanding bit goes into is only a small metal tab on the edge of the bottom of the front quarter body panel which doesn't have enough strength to resist the 'screw' being forced in and it isnt possible to use a jaw type thing to force the 'screw' in due to the mechanical arrangement. The cover panel I am getting off to get access to the windscreen washer bottle means that there is no way to have the inner of the jaw there to squeeze against to force the 'screw' in.

So it is in fact screwed in, not forced in.

That isnt possible either because the screw head is recessed into the thing it screw into. With 20/20 hindsight I should have included a photo of that.

That wont work either because it will just bend the small metal tab that the thing the screw screws into goes into a hole in.

Not in this case because that's also recessed. It does come out fine with the other one once the screw has been unscrewed.

No it wont because cutting the head off doesn't allow you to get the screw out and with the screw still in what it screws into, that is still spreading the 4 tongs that stop what the screw screws into from coming out the hole in the metal tab.

Yes, that would certainly work. I havent done that yet because I don't have a mains powered drill which is short enough with the drill in it to put the drill tip into the wrecked philips slot in the head. And all the batterys in the battery drills are flat. So I gave up for the moment because I needed to use the car and I have 9 brews of beer to bottle.

Yeah, ordered them from aliexpress already. Claimed to be for Hyundai and look the same so they should hopefully be threaded too. No big deal if they arent, one missing will be fine while I find threaded ones.

Reply to
Jac Brown

This one isnt, because there is no way to get speed of assembly where it is given that there is now way to get an inner jaw in there to press against and the body tab hasn't got the strength to shove against.

Reply to
Jac Brown

That one is talking about push in for what the screw screws into, its not saying that the screw pushes into what it goes into.

But not push in for the screw, just what it screws into.

Reply to
Jac Brown

I agree in general they are push-fit, but that one is not.

Reply to
Andy Burns

With many of those you push the pin in further to release them. They are reusable after you reset the pin.

Reply to
rbowman

I've just been told off for backing you up, but your link shows a proper screw thread. The title includes the words "screw push-in", but I would say that means you push it in then screw it.

Reply to
Dave W