Gel AGM LA v LiFePo4 > electric outboard

I think you are right but you still sometimes have to move them in and out the boat.

I think they use a 'recombination' vent cap in each of the cells that help keep the electrolyte levels correct but because the battery still needs to vent, they often still have to have something to allow that.

And potentially very explosive. Whilst 'I love the smell of hydrogen in the morning' ... I'm also aware of good ventilation and keeping sparks to a minimum. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Agreed. I generally don't do that at all if I can avoid it (and I generally can). ;-)

I don't think it's 'this' battery as such (and you many not have meant that one specifically) but I believe 'Gel, AGM, Calcium, Semi Traction' and just 'good quality' all play a part.

And the fact that I bought this particular battery second hand, many years ago and it can still run three of us up and down the river for over two hours with little use (but regular charges) in between probably reflects why it is 'different from many other offerings?

In it's class I have no idea how good or bad it is.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A wind turbine will surprisingly still work upwind. You're extracting energy from the movement of the wind against the water.

Whether the efficiency is good enough that it's worth doing is another matter.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I would have thought it would work 'better' (as an electricity generator)?

But in so doing reducing the efficiency of the transmission system with the turbine acting as an air brake.

Quite, that's why I only suggested it's use downwind (where it acting like a sail could only add to the overall efficiency). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

IN fact a wind turbine can allow a boat to sail faster downwind than the wind is blowing..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd like a link to that. I've never seen it done in a boat, although on land it's been done to quite large speed ratios.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

200 quid for a 60 amp deep cycle lead acid? Sounds like the sort of price a disability shop would charge.

You'd also need to buy a charger for the Lithium?

BTW, I'd also get some advice on just how many cycles you'll get out of the Lithium at a high discharge rate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd have thought if the boat capsized, the battery type might be the least of your problems. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)