Gas valve wiring

Our boiler is on the blink again (Baxi 130HE, expensive and only two years old, two years of trouble and grief and no help from useless Baxi "customer service" - no wonder they only guarantee them for one year).

*This* time, it appears to be the gas valve connector, having cleaned and reseated the PROM on the (second to be installed!) PCB, the random error codes have gone away and we are left with a consistent "ignition lockout" fault.

Gone through the troubleshooting section of the manual, and basically found that the gas valve isn't opening. Checked the electrics, and found that although 230V comes off the PCB at the correct time, there's no power at the other end. Unfortunately, the connector is some sort of weird Honeywell thing, presumably with added electronics embedded... I will attempt to explain with some ASCII art...

PCB end +------------------+ +----------- . | |1-B- ---1-| L -A-------...--------| connector at |2--- ---2-| E ---------...--------| gas valve |3--- ---3-| gas valve N -A-------...--------| end |4--- ---4-| . | |5-B- ---5-| . +------------------+ +-----------

The PCB connector is just a straightforward three wire block connector. The troubleshooting guide tells me that I should be getting (at the point that ignition is attempted) 230V across A at the PCB end, and

230V across B at the gas valve end (with the connector disconnected).

At the point of attempted ignition:-

I am getting a spark at the electrodes (as expected); I am getting (as expected) 230V across the two 'A' terminals; I *should* be getting 230V across the two 'B' terminals too, but get nothing; There is continuity between earth and the terminal labelled '3', but none between any of the 'B' and 'A' terminals. Therefore, I can't work out which of

1B and 5B is positive.

Questions someone may be able to answer:-

1=2E What is the connector at the gas valve end doing? 2=2E If I wired the two A (plus earth) to the gas valve, and got the polarity wrong (I presume it is just a solenoid), is there potential for damage or would it just not work? 3=2E Is wiring it directly likely to work anyway, or do you think that 2 & 4 are likely to be crucial to the gas valve?

Any help gratefully received - we are heated by coal fire + fan heater at the moment, and the nearest spare part (which is the entire wiring loom) is in Aberdeen (I am not), and they want =A372 + VAT + delivery. I am prepared to pay this if it definitely fixes the fault, but would like to prove it.

A copied response by email would be appreciated, as I can only get to newsgroups via Google at the moment, which is always a few hours behind. Please do not email the address given, it would be rejected due to spam. My address is ade@ the same domain. Thanks for any help!

Ade.

Reply to
ab.usenet

The connector is faulty. My guess is that it contains RF suppressors. The lead not the gas valve is the faulty component. If you get a reasonable value for the 1-5 continuity through the solenoid the I think it very unlikely that the gas valve is shot.

A reasonable value for the DC resistance of the mains solenoid is perhaps

50 Ohms? So long as it is not very low (ohms) or very high (kOhms+?)
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for that, I am sure you are right - I will check the continuity across the solenoid tonight.

- I already ordered a replacement lead - hopefully it will fix the fault. In the meantime I sent a rant of an email to Baxi customer services, outlining all the problems we have had with this boiler over the past two years, and the disappointment over the lack of resolution (basically, I think we had a really early example and beta-tested it for Baxi, but they never fixed it properly - we have had approx 100 random failures (resetting the boiler fixes these usually) + two diagnosable faults - kept a log for about three months, but ran out of paper!). I have actually had a response from customer services - the first in two years - they are going to upgrade all the upgradeable components for free, and if that doesn't solve the random failures, replace the boiler for free... Watch this space...

Reply to
ab.usenet