gas pressure question

Hi all,

I have been looking at a gas powered light - a British Bullfinch Handilight - the label on the light says to use propane OR butane at 14

- 15 PSI. Surely this cannot be correct - the Calor website states the following- "In the UK appliances operating on Butane do so at a pressure of 28 millibars and Propane at 37 millibars." now 37 millibars converts to about 0.5 PSI which means that the bottle would have to be at 30x the pressure that Calor states for it to work...

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

Gerry This is indeed correct. Most domestic regulators will regulate the gas from 20 bars maximum input down to 37mbars as you specified. However Bullfinch supply a high pressure regulator (type 1041) which will allow

15psi (1bar) of output. I think however that I am correct when I say that although the pressure of gas is high, its flowrate is kept to a minimum therefore you dont use up too much gas. Calum Sabey (Newark Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)
Reply to
calums

|Hi all, | |I have been looking at a gas powered light - a British Bullfinch |Handilight - the label on the light says to use propane OR butane at 14 |- 15 PSI. Surely this cannot be correct - the Calor website states the |following- "In the UK appliances operating on Butane do so at a pressure |of 28 millibars and Propane at 37 millibars." now 37 millibars converts |to about 0.5 PSI which means that the bottle would have to be at 30x the |pressure that Calor states for it to work...

The pressures referred to are after a pressure reducing valve which usually sits on top of the bottle. A few appliances work off bottle pressures which are much higher. I think I still have somewhere a light which works off Camping Gaz at bottle pressure. I probably still also have a radiant heater which works at bottle pressure. Both sit on top of the bottle without a regulator.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks to all who cleared that up!!

Reply to