Gas meter ventilation requirement

OUr gas meter is at high level in the pantry of our bungalow. There is an airbrick at about 4' height which introduces quite a lot of cold air and dust/dirt and SWIMBO would like to block it off.

Google isn't clear. What and where are the regs applying to it and more simply can I put a piece of card in front of the airbrick?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Our gas meter is also in the pantry and there is no airbrick or ventilation whatsoever. We have recently had the meter changed (routine scheduled change) and the fitters did not say anything about needing ventilation.

AFAIK is only gas burning appliances that ate not room sealed need ventilation to the outside world.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Lots of gas meters are under the stairs with no ventilation. I cannot say what the current regs are, but it has no more reason to leak than the rest of the gas pipework (which shouldn't leak at all).

Reply to
Tim Watts

All closed spaces where there are gas pipe have to be ventilated.

Paragraph 6

This is to dissipate accumulations of gas if there should be a leak.

Reply to
harry

Don't guess if you don't know.

Reply to
harry

About as relevant as

ARW

SWIMBO shall have her draught free dust free pantry - thanks (most of you) for your help.

Reply to
AnthonyL

harry scribbled

YFI. HTF do they get away with burying gas pipes in the road.

Reply to
Jonno

The air brick may be because the space is a pantry, and perhaps needs to be kept cool, rather than because of the presence of the gas meter.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You are full of crap.

The ventilation has to be 2% of the ground area of the place the meter is enclosed in.

It took me two minute to find the above. It's half wits like you causes gas explosions.

Reply to
harry

You have clearly demonstrated that you lack the wits to determine whether the link you posted is likely to be relevant.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Could you clarify how the above url applies to my situation?

Reply to
AnthonyL

It is very possible that your meter is not large enough to need a vent See

for example.

FWIW our small larder does have an airbrick. There is no gas supply where I live.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Well, in my early days the gas meter was under the stairs, no air brick. In my later days, the gas meter was also under the stairs, no air brick. In my a bit later days the gas meter was in the porch thigee, no air brick. Ditto for a few more years in other houses. In my present and probably my last home the gas meter is in a dead posh cupboard in the hall, no air brick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

If you look at a modern gas meter, it with be outside in a an enclosure that is ventilated. The electricity meter is in an identical box but unventilated.

Gas meters/pipes in unventilated spaces are one reason we have gas explosions. And idiots blocking vents.

Reply to
harry

My gas supply was very recently replaced, and checked to the latest standards by National Grid. The meter is in the sealed unventilated garage, which is part of the house. You're talking crap again.

Reply to
Capitol

I sort of was hoping for Harry to respond. He surely must know about all this have made such clear pronouncement following his two minute gas expert googling course?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Look at the meter boxes shit-fer-brains. The door has top and bottom ventilation.

Reply to
harry

That is avoiding my question with regard to the U16 or greater specification that you cited.

Reply to
AnthonyL