Gas leak or not?

Seems to be a recent random, and admittedly slight, smell of gas in our flat. Thought at first it was only with the boiler on (only thing that's gas), but it isn't. I did a drop test, which showed no leaks, and got a Corgi to do one as well (and check the flue) - again no leaks. Went round *every* visible joint with leak fluid and still can't find anything. I've had a look back through the archives and I'm pretty sure it's not electrical or dead rodent ;)

So... any ideas what else to check? Would it be worth trying to find/rent ask someone with a gas sniffer?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Next door?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Good point, I hadn't considered that. I'll ask them when they get in, the smell has gone again for now so probably isn't urgent ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

So where is the gas more heavily of a smell?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

|Seems to be a recent random, and admittedly slight, smell of gas in our |flat. Thought at first it was only with the boiler on (only thing that's |gas), but it isn't. |I did a drop test, which showed no leaks, and got a Corgi to do one as |well (and check the flue) - again no leaks. |Went round *every* visible joint with leak fluid and still can't find |anything. |I've had a look back through the archives and I'm pretty sure it's not |electrical or dead rodent ;) | |So... any ideas what else to check? |Would it be worth trying to find/rent ask someone with a gas sniffer?

I did see a gas detector on sale quite cheaply recently, :-) but can not remember where. :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Haven't you rung Transco on their emergency gas-leak number? They'll be round faster than a rat up a drainpipe, and will find what the problem is, whether it's next door or not.

David

Reply to
Lobster

If it was a "strong" and constant smell I would have already rung them, but TBH I didn't want Transco turning up and capping the supply for a minor problem.

Though if the neighbours have got a problem and are not rectifying it, calling them in would obviously be a sensible move... if the smell comes back I think I will.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Varies, but near the gas meter mostly, where the shared street-pressure gas pipe enters, and a very vague smell in the kitchen - which is why I suspected the boiler at first.

As I said in reply to Lobster, I may just call Transco if the smell returns, and let them try to find it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Could it be drains-related at all?

I ask because we had occasion to summon Transco over a smell of gas outside the house - on our brand-new drive as it happens! We suspected the contractors might have stuffed our gas pipe in fact; but after spending the best part of a day poking around in the ground with sensors, it turned out that the problem was somewhere under the road, 30 yards away, and gas was somehow leaking from the supply pipe and getting into the sewage system, from where it was wafting up the pipes and out of a surface drain on the drive!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Now, that is interesting because there is an occasional whiff of gas outside near the drain covers. But I've always put that down to one or other of the nearby boilers purging. Something to think about though.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

There is little risk calling Transco as the installation side is gas tight.

The boiler may be leaking gas after the valve. However the service pipework is well in the frame.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

where you from ed? not the rotherham/sheffield area of rotherham by any chance?

Reply to
Gav