Gas leak limit

The spider on the back of the drum failed on my White Knight, Probably repairable, but SWMBO wanted a new one as it 'could be' unreliable. so we got another virtually the same. It has failed twice (in the first week or two with a stuck timer). It's now run in, I think the first one was similar.

Over the years we replaced a thermocouple and a gas valve solenoid. Not bad in 14 years.

Reply to
<me9

The message from "Roger Mills" contains these words:

Because I have too many other tuits of the round sort and if I have to go shopping for the tubing I might just as well get the finished article.

Reply to
Roger

You really only need a length of winemaking tube folded into a U shape taped alongside a ruler. 1" is one inch water gauge: 30' of water is 1 bar: the rest is arithmetic.

OK then, BES do a U-tube type for about a tenner (pipe not included: they do black rubber pipe for NG separately). It's useful to find a bit of larger diameter pipe whick fits snugly over the non-manometer end of the tube to fit onto meter test nipples which are too big to get the regular diameter tube over. I've got a very nice bit which was once the boot that went over the spark plug from an ignition lead.

While you're ordering from BES get some of their flourescent dye to put in the water in the u-tube. Or you can use a minute dab of food colour, though prolonged use is likely to leave a precipitate on the inside of the tube making it harder to read.

I gather there's a website somewhere all about u-tubes. :^|

Reply to
John Stumbles

We had to replace a couple of stats early on and like you, one solenoid. (All easy diy jobs). This was is the first 5 years. Since then, nothing other than a bit of hoovering now and again.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Unless you know the gas is being vented to the outside air how do you know it will not go *BANG*? It may take weeks or months to build to an explosive mixture but how do you know it hasn't?

Reply to
dennis

A piece of wood, some staples and a plastic tube too DIY? ;-)

Reply to
dennis

No such thing as zero. That would mean waiting infinitely long to prove that there was no leak.

Funnily enough, I have a nose. It's proved a lot more reliable than BG gas fitter's testing proceedures.

If we were talking about LPG, I would worry more but natural gas has a lower density than air, so it's less inclined to lurk.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

The 0.25 mbar is a way of saying no detectable drop. You could probably observe a smaller drop than that, but even holding the gas pipe with a warm hand can put 0.5 mbar or more onto the gauge.

When using an electronic manometer they are very very sensitive and the last digit is 0.01 mbar i.e. Pascals i.e next to nothing. The digits will move around all the while when testing.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Well there is your first error.. to smell it means it has to be escaping into the room, what about the roof/floor/wall spaces where you don't stick your nose.

Checked your roof space recently? ;-)

LPG is very dangerous on boats as they tend to be gas tight and there have been some very big bangs. Like I said any leak is dangerous unless you know where it is going.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

We were holidaying on a boat on the Norfolk Broads a few years back when the cooker stopped working. Boatyard sent someone out to fix it and we carried on... until I realised the inside was increasingly smelling of rotten cabbage. Very fast mooring and evacuation followed. The boatyard offered us compensation without us asking. :)

Reply to
Si

Actually, I *do* stick my nose under the floor and into the loft. Haven't got any joints in my wall cavities.

See above.

Why are you telling me something I already know? I'm trying to make the point that a lighter than air gas is most unlikely to "take weeks or months" to build to an explosive mixture in a typically ventilated house. I'll wager that every gas induced house explosion with natural gas has been due to an accummulation *much* faster than "weeks or months".

Leak tested your own pipework and appliances lately? Or do you trust someone who's in a hurry and *doesn't* live in the same property as he/she is testing?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

The message from "dennis@home" contains these words:

Life is too short to do everything.

Reply to
Roger

Yes, but Norfolk smnells like that.

Reply to
Huge

This was definitely not NfN

Reply to
Si

Serious question, why can't you get bottled natural gas specifically for use on boats? Given that boat makers can't use the ideal solution (i.e. drill holes in the bottom to let the gas out), it would seem immensely sensible to use a lighter than air gas on board boats.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Because natural gas can't be liquefied (at room temps & acheivable pressures)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Didn't I hear that the Hindenburg started out as a boat... ??

Reply to
Rod

Darn! Knew there had to be a good reason. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

It was a ship!

Reply to
dennis

Actually it can be stored compressed, but it need sto be in the sort of bottles used for other compressed gases such as oxygen, nitrogen, CO2 etc. If you've come across these in a welding shop, science lab or hospital etc you'll know they are firkling *heavy*. However I recall seeing cars fitted with compressed methane bottles on roofracks in Ancona, Italy, in 1977. It was some sort of renewable scheme. Evidently didn't catch on.

Reply to
John Stumbles