Gas heating options

Yes much as I'd expect. I have storage heaters and they seem to compare on the single fuel costs to the combined costs others get who have gas as well. The only down side of storage heaters is if somebody comes to do some work and opens doors in the late afternoon or evening you have to use peak electricity to get the temp up since the storage heaters are getting colder by then. This only happens in very cold wither given good insulation and even reasonable double glazing.

When they came around poking yellow plastic pipes up the rusting iron ones, I had a stop end fitted at the street, so no gas in the house. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:qr30us$e57$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I was thinking along the lines of a balanced flue wall mounted convector in place of a storage heater. Probably just one - in the lounge.

Reply to
John

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:qr319e$g6e$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

They gave up on one heater. It had about 6 elements - some failed and got replaces - only to fail soon after - was the charge thermostat faulty? Too difficult to keep driving over to see what was happening. Old - messy to dismantle - they got rid of it and now use a fan heater

Reply to
John

There was no energy consumption history with this property apart from 3 months of cold weather usage with the old electric storage heaters and all hot water via an emersion heater. No mains gas to any property in the village.

The previous occupant had money problems and one of the first things changed was the pre-payment electricity meter and the energy supplier.

It's a brick 3 bed built 1960s property with double glazing, after market cavity wall insulation and loft insulation.

A spread sheet was constructed using the "average" energy consumption figures for this type of property as given on-line by a few of the energy suppliers.

All the comparison figures were based on this average usage and consideration given the efficiency of each fuel. Prices were an average from a couple of local suppliers.

So yes, the final annual operating cost may be higher but so is true of the other fuels.

The full comparison exercise may not have been attempted if it wasn't for the first person quoting for the CH/hot water saying that bottled gas would result in an installation cost being around £2K lower. In this case if it sounds too good to be true it is - and cost saving in installation is lost soon after in running costs and inconvenience in having to have fuel delivered every few weeks during the cold months.

Most neighbour use oil with a few using LPG (all with bulk tanks). A few supplement oil/LPG with a large wood store and appropriate stove/burner.

Reply to
alan_m

If you look at the neck of the cylinder, full and empty weights are stamped.

For some applications the cylinder stands on a weighing device. So you know how much gas is left.

Reply to
harry

Flogas will not refund the deposit.

(We sold one empty and one part-full when we went to an electric hob.)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

If you haven't already decided on a boiler why not research heat pump options?

Reply to
Cynic

Because they are overpriced crap, mostly?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm currently looking at replacement of my old oil boiler and a heat pump with changes to radiators as required. It looks feasible and has the added incentive of RHI payments. Just need to decide whether air to water or ground to water would be optimal. Plus research electricity tariffs. I'm not interested in green Incentives just Financials

Reply to
Cynic

A mate of mine has one for his business. It's due for replacement in the next couple of years, are the bulk tanks owned or leased?

Reply to
newshound

I think they're usually leased, ours certainly is, we pay a 'rental' for it. It has been replaced recently.

Reply to
Chris Green

It would be interesting to know how you research goes. With my limited research on air based systems the savings (including possibly £7.5K of payments) in the first 5 years are marginal. I also read somewhere that the payments over 5 years are not necessarily guaranteed and may be scaled back if the take-up of such systems exceeds the budgets for payments. Be careful to investigate how such a system works for a UK winter rather than than some of the generalised claims made for these systems that are being used other countries for air conditioning when the weather is hot.

Reply to
alan_m

I'm pretty sure that my friend's bulk oil tank is owned. It was installed as part of the recent CH (boiler and radiators) and independently of any fuel supplier.

Reply to
alan_m

In my personal experience, the gas bulk tanks are rented, or leased, and the oil tanks are owned.

Reply to
Davey