Gas fire connector

My late mother's property has a gas fire in the sitting room. Although the fire has the usual on/off control knob on the side, I would like to isolate it in a more positive fashion. But I don't want to turn off the supply at the meter, because the C/H is still running, albeit with a low thermostat setting, just to keep frost at bay.

The gas pipe from the fire is connected to a fitting on the skirting which looks something like this

(which is a restrictor from the BES range). On the fitting in the property there is what appears to be a screw head where it says 2" high in the image. OTOH the fitting might be an isolator, one of these
also BES and which also appears to have a screw head, which presumably can be turned to isolate the fire.

If the fitting is a reducer as in the first diagram, does the screw on the end also act as an isolator, and if so, how far should I turn it and in what direction? I don't wish simply to experiment!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

ISTR that the screw at the top (2 inch) is just a cap. If you *remove* that it exposes a sort of grub screw inside, and if you screw that down until you reach a stop, that isolates the supply. Put the cap back on afterwards (probably has a fibre washer).

Reply to
newshound

From what I recall, the actual isolator screw is beneath that small screw in the top. You remove it and then turn the screw beneath it clockwise until it won't screw down any further. You may need an Allen key to do it.

Also, I think it doesn't allow any gas out the top whilst you're doing this. Always a good idea to turn off the gas first though and to leak test before and after.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The screw on the top is a cover over the isolator.

Unscrew and remove it. Don't lose any sealing washer with it. Underneath is a smaller screw. Screw that down to isolate the supply. Replace the top screw, with the washer if it had one.

A tiny amount of gas may escape whilst you have to top screw off and are screwing down the isolator screw underneath it. When you've put the top screw back on, you should paint some water with washing- up liquid over it to make sure it isn't leaking (which will cause it to blow bubbles). Wipe the washing up liquid off afterwards (it contains salt which is not great to leave behind on the pipework - proper leak detector fluid is similar but without the salt).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Many thanks, all. Most helpful.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes. If you take the cap off and turn the screw clockwise (down) this will turn the gas to the fire off. If seen this done and the pipe and valve shoved under the floor. Probably not a good move.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

harry