Gas C/H with water manifold - benefits??

Hi, I'm selling a block of flats and the owner features the fact that the C/H boiler feeds a central manifold, and then a separate plastic pipe runs to each rad through a conduit. The benefit explained to me is the fact that, if there is ever a leak, or a pipe needs replacing, it can be withdrawn through the conduit and replaced easily.

However, I dont particularly want to draw attention to the fact that there might be a leak which is easily fixed as the only benefit.

So...

Are there other benefits to be had from this type of system?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

If it works really well, then make it a feature of the tour and tell people it works really.

If you think it is the most god damned awful thing you've ever seen and think that it is so old and inefficient, then don't even mention at all or if pushed to give an answer, then reply that you are not so technically minded, but that the previous owner didn't seem to have problems with it.

If you're asked out right if it works really well, then just reply with the phrase "The last owner was very pleased with it".

Most people who come to view the house will not even mention the fact that it is centrally heated, unless you know something bad about it which you must disclose, and will be buying the house for its space and location, not for its shiny boiler and white radiators on the walls.

"The property is centrally heated by a (boiler name here) gas fired boiler", will more than likely suffice for any advertising flyers.

Good God, remind me to get neither you nor your client to sell my house. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Is this a central common boiler? Or does each flat have its own boiler/manifold?

Reply to
IMM

In article , BigWallop writes

I think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick - it is a brand new block of 12 flats, which my client has built, so there are no previous owners to quote.

Personally, I dont think it is a major feature in terms of selling, but the client wants it highlighting - and the client is always right

So I am just looking for a bit of help in order to satisfy a clients wishes, whilst still doing a good job of selling - the 2 dont always compliment each other

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In article , IMM writes

All self contained with separate boilers and manifolds.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Probably done for easy of installation more than anything else.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

He'd have done better if he had said that each flat is fully wired for networking and that there is a 2Mbit ISP connection paid for out of the service charge.

I really can't think of a good sales argument for this.

The features are that the pipework can easily be replaced if it ever leaks and that the use of a manifold and small bore pipe is that it is a little easier to balance the system.

However this really is starting on the back foot. You might use the easy replacement argument if somebody had spotted plastic pipe, had a wobbly about it being more likely to leak or split than copper (probably not true in practical use), but other than that it really isn't a benefit. It's almost like the vendor has put in plastic against the advice of the conservative cronies at the local plumber's merchant and now wants to turn his objection handling arguments into selling benefits.

The other argument about balancing relates to any form of microbore pipework on a manifold and to the average buying punter is not going to be that interesting. Most people don't rebalance their systems as a monthly maintenance exercise.

Can't you divert him by emphasising all the other great features and make benefits of them to his likely punters?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

maintenance

Advance heating system that entails ease of maintenance that will not create excessive disturbance to the resident. .....That is a selling point, otherwise it is just a heating system.

If it has condensing boilers emphasis the eco and economical point if these. "eco" and "economical" are powerful words.

Most estate agents haven't a clue. I once viewed a house that had a DHW only thermal store. It gave instant hot water at very high flowrates and powerful high mains pressure showers, with no tanks in the loft which reduces freezing and extends loft storage space. These points are definitely selling points. No one was mentioned, only "gas fired CH".

To install high pressure showers, which has now become a must in 90% plus of homes, with two bathrooms can run into £1,000-2000 or more. The mixers, pumps if necc', larger cylinder, etc. So emphasising "eco", "economy" and "high pressure" or "power" showers, "instant hot water", etc, are excellent selling points. People are now educated up to this. You may say well 2K is nothing to the house price of 200-250k, but a homeowner has to get this done after they move in and all thendistruptions etc. As the DIY/home selling progs indicate, people want a superbly decorated home and all mod cons there.

This reminds me of the idiot estate agent in Milton Keynes, who dropped the price of a house because it never had a CH system. It was one of the country's first eco superinsulated homes at Energy Park and never needed a heating system. He was told to up the price and was given a small lecture on the house. He reluctantly upped the price, still thinking the house would not sell. It sold pronto.

Reply to
IMM