Gas boiler problem - excessive heat, soot and yellow flame

It may well be possible to get it to work well enough again. Obviously it having already sooted up would make me and probably most other fitters look very very carefully at it. I'd really want to be 100% sure that the problem would not return in the next couple of years.

It is a simple unit being essentially no different from any of a dozen models of it's era.

Essentially all that's needed is a thorough clean out. Check the flue after a 5 minutes operation that it draws well enough to clear a smoke pellet and check that all the flue gases are going upwards when in operation.

However there is no margin for error on this job. The cause of why it sooted up must be found and corrected. This is a plausibly a matter of life and death.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for your comments Ed, it's much appreciated.

I understand the seriousness of the matter, when I saw carbon monoxide in everyone's replies, the boiler was off and the windows were open immediately and it took me a couple of hours to get calm again...

I am going to engage an experienced heating fitter tomorrow who a friend has recommended. I am planning, pending re-employment or windfall, to carry out some alterations to my flat which would affect the room in which the boiler is situated, so I really don't want to have to replace boiler and possibly storage tank etc etc at this point, only to have to move it all and possibly upgrade it in the near future!

Fingers crossed a thorough clean does the job. Meanwhile I can testify to the efficacy of the Delonghi electric fan heaters on sale at Tesco for =A37, although the spinning of the electricity meter is making me dizzy!

Thanks again

-- Michael

Reply to
Michael Pacey