Gas boiler, controls and prog/stat

It seems that someone more mature than myself[1] actually did a video

[1] I never want to grow up

Reply to
ARW

Brilliant, cheers :-)

Reply to
Cliff Topp

Why would it do that without the fan running? "Balanced" means equal input and output pressures.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I see the idea, but not all pipes are heated, nor next to a CH pipe. Therefore it's not something I would implement.

If you want to save the primary circuit from freezing then only a small amount of antifreeze is required to make the water turn into a mush rather than solid ice. If there's a concern over toxicity then propylene glycol can be used.

I have suffered a pipeburst myself and another member of the family had a more serious burst pipe on an upper floor which did quite a bit of damage to the floors below. I now always turn off the water if I leave the house during a cold spell.

I'll think I'll stick to my programmable thermostat with its own built in frost setting of 5C.

Reply to
Fredxx

There are 'old fashioned' balanced flue boilers that are not fan-forced. I suspect they are the most ineffient types going and ?most have now been recycled into Nespressos. I regularly see properties with a modern 4 inch balanced flue adjacent to a bricked up hole that was about a foot square where the old balanced flue came out.

Reply to
Andrew

Thank you . Couldn't remember which was which off the top of my head.

No they would be opened up by the room stat set much above freezing

Reply to
bert

In my case its in the corner of the integral garage. With a belt and braces approach I also have a greenhouse heater in there with a frost setting.

Reply to
bert

Yes, indeed. But the non fan-assisted flues required some thermal activity in the boiler in order to expel the products of combustion and draw in fresh air. There would be negligible circulation without that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Are you sure? If the heating's on all the time anyway, there's no point in having a frost stat.

If the timer isn't calling for heat, the room stat won't do anything regardless of the temperature, and you'll be dependent on the frost stat.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Mine's avoiding getting recycled, 78.something% SEDBUK rating last time I looked, doesn't justify the spend to replace it

Reply to
Andy Burns