Gas bill in the wrong units

I posted a topic around a month ago about my gas bill being in hcf (hundreds of cubic feet) and my gas meter measuring cubic metres.

I've just had a revised bill from my gas supplier: they've scrapped all charges over the last two years and recalculated using the correct units.

The up-shot is, I've gone from being =A31500 in arrears to =A3250 in arrears (I did suspect my monthly direct debit should have been upped).

So, the moral of this tale is: get to understand how your gas bill is calculated.

Reply to
LJMeek

The moral is check your bill every quarter and don't let it get that far in the first place!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

What's really annoying is that this is a fairly common problem that frequenlty must stand out like a sore thumb but the companies deliberately ignore.

Unqualified people like my sister, quite naturally assume that the fitted meter reads in the units you are charged at and why not ? When the later m3 meters were fitted, the companies should have ensured that their records were updated.

Only when some chance conversation hi-lights the possibilty does the problem come to light and it is NOT the consumers fault.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Is there a gas meter that shows units ? doesn't the calorific value change from time to time hence the need to calculate the units used based on volume and calorific value ?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cross

Household gas meters measure in imperial (hcf=3Dhundreds of cubic feet) or metric (m=B3=3Dcubic metres). Both these measurements are volumetric.

UK gas bills require that they charge against energy, measured in kWh (kilo-Watt-hours).

To convert from the volumetric measurement into energy, the calorific value is used, along with other correction factors.

My problem was that I had a metric gas meter and an imperial bill. This resulted in an overbilling of 283% (the ratio between hcf and m=B3).

Reply to
LJMeek

|I posted a topic around a month ago about my gas bill being in hcf |(hundreds of cubic feet) and my gas meter measuring cubic metres. | |I've just had a revised bill from my gas supplier: they've scrapped all |charges over the last two years and recalculated using the correct |units. | |The up-shot is, I've gone from being ?1500 in arrears to ?250 in |arrears (I did suspect my monthly direct debit should have been upped). | |So, the moral of this tale is: get to understand how your gas bill is |calculated.

The moral is: Check all bills.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Quite so but it is the responsibility of the Gas supplier to know what kind of meter is fitted and not the frequently non-technical consumer. Customer Services must hear this same tale time and time again. I bet the casual attitude wouldn't be the same if the effect was an undercharge.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

IIRC suppliers are now only allowed to back-charge 12 months, so you might *still* be getting overcharged.

It might be worth referring to the

site for clarification :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson