Garage - upstairs flooring 18 or 22 mm board?

Afternoon all, I have a double garage with a high roof, and I plan to install some stairs and put flooring down.

Planned use of the new room will primarily be storeage.

Should I use 18mm or 22mm T&G chipboard? Do people nail it down or screw it?

Reply to
M D D

eithers fine

yes, either.

do you know what loading your woodwork will take? Would be a good idea to tell us all the dimensions and structure details.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Hi

For storage I'd use 18mm and I'd screw it down - drill driver & some turbo type screws - as fast as nailing, less effort, better job.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

The thickness of the floor will dictate the spacing of the joists. Thicker floor = less joists. Google will provide details

Screw it down. It can be a real pain lifting nailed down t&g chipboard flooring and you never know if you will ever need to loft it.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

I'd use 18mm, provided the joist spacing is close. It weighs less than 22mm, putting less strain on the structure. Just make sure that the joists are good enough for the intended use. I'd paint it, too.

I'd screw. Lots of screws. The more screws, the fewer squeaks.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I would too, it just occurs to me that they may be very widely spaced, which would change things somewhat. The OP hasnt told us yet.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

You'd first better check out the joists. To see if they will take the extra weight of the flooring and whatever you intend to put up there.

There is also the matter of how your stairs are going to be supported.

18mm is going to be easier to handle and fix.

Either will do the job. Best use a nailgun or drill/driver though. It also helps to make sure that your fixing is going into the centre of the joist. Thus you'll need to carefully measure and mark.

Reply to
Mark Evans