galvanised railings

am thinking of getting the metal type veranda for our static caravan it looks to be zinc plated wondered if there were any restrictions on paint i could use to make it look a bit better was thinking auot primer then auto paint from hafrauds or such but not sure if it would just peel off anyone done this before?

Reply to
mindwipe

Brand-new zinc is hard to paint onto. A simple trick is just to let it weather for a few months.

Otherwise you should use an "etching primer". Another usable paint is a zinc-based primer (Davids 182 is good). This is also the best primer (by far) for ungalvanised railings that you've cleaned up by thorough wire brushing. For ones that are stil rusty, a wash of phosphoric acid and a "red oxide" primer is better.

As to the final paint, then just avoid Hammerite. It's over-hyped and doesn't work well. Best of all for had wearing outdoor use is something bitumen-based, like Leyland's truck chassis paint. However this is literally "Any colour, so long as it's black". Bitumen-based paints are more elastic and last much longer on bendy railings.

All these paints are available at any good vehicle paint supplier, or commercial vehicle motor factor (try Edmunds Walker in the phonebook). They're also cheaper than Halfords, so long as you're not looking for just a tiny tin.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Just a thought- have you asked site owner about putting up veranda? On my site we have to get planning permission from local council they say things like this, decking etc makes them permanent. Gordon

Reply to
gordonpuk

yes its ok on the site cos its non residential and closed 2 months of the year

Reply to
mindwipe

thanks andy we have an Edmund walker in leeds i believe

Reply to
mindwipe