gable end painting

I am about to take on the repainting of my gable end woodwork. it only seems to last for about three years until I have to re do it. it is south facing and so gets baked and hammered with all weathers. any expert advice as to best paint system to use? last time I used Dulux Weathershield system. it is black if that makes any difference. thanks, therebelmc.

Reply to
therebel

Black is the worst colour to have baking in the sun. Could you consider fitting low maintenance white UPVC cladding? It only needs and annual wash over then!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Reply to
therebel

"therebel" wrote | > Black is the worst colour to have baking in the sun. Could you | > consider fitting low maintenance white UPVC cladding? | > It only needs and annual wash over then! | > prob is we are semi's and all matching . changing would look odd.

Is low maintenance black PVC cladding totally unobtainable? Even if it's not sold for permanent buildings, I'm sure I've seen it on park home refurbishments.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

scroll down to "Coloured Fascia Boards Index" in the left hand pane.

Also a nice range of cast iron effect plastic guttering.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

If its black the best stuff to use is Sadolin Extra durable woodstain in Ebony (yellow tin). I had the same problem on my black barge boards which are also southerly facing. If you wop it on good'n'thick after rubbing down you should get 7 - 10 years out of it. Mine never flake off, the surface just seems to 'thin' over time and slowly go matt.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson