Full marks to Lidl

My 2.5 year old cordless drill which I purchased clearance for £19.99 packed up last week. After a couple of questioning emails they sent me a paid return label along with instructions not to return the battery or any other accessories. Replacement arrived from Germany by UPS this morning complete with case, bits, BATTERY! and charger.

Brilliant service plus I now have a new second battery:-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yes they are good like that. I'm ready for a few more spare 20V batteries now that I am up to five devices, unfortunately they have not had them in stock for a while and it turns out you can't get them on-line. Their geneeric letter said "go straight to the manufacturer" but I have not looked at that route yet.

Reply to
newshound

just a shame all their stuff is rubbish in the first place.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Anyone who bought an original ZX Spectrum probably ended up with 5 or 6 power supplies that they always sent out with the replacements ...

Speaking of shysters, how come the government hasn't managed to dig up Sir Clive to add to the Covid effort ? He really wouldn't look out of place next to Dyson and chums ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Given you've stated you don't do DIY, HTF would you know?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I avoid doing it...not that I can't do it...not that don't have the tools to do it....just not interested in doing it...some is a bussmans holiday...plenty other interesting things to do.....stuff that has gone west....lidl flosser... lidle compressor... lidl drone..etc etc... all fect in the last two years...won't buy any more of their crap aldi stuff is better....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It's sold on the premise it will be used maybe twice a year.

Reply to
harry

looks like it...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

only thing that matters is the price...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

That does appear your MO. Some of us buy quality, or value for money.

Reply to
Fredxx

Did you still have the receipt for it?

I ask because I got an electric branch saw (Florabest brand) from Lidl last year which worked well for a few weeks then jammed solid. But I bought it along with a lot of groceries and threw the receipt away along with other grocery receipts, unfortunately. So I assumed that there was no chance of getting any help from Lidl. In fact I took it apart, unjammed it, and eventually managed to put it back together. It's been ok, since but I've expected to jam again every time I use it.

Reply to
Clive Page

I'm cheap ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Oddly, never seen that in the ads. Could you have made it up?

I'm sure the likes of you expect pro quality at bargain prices. But then like so many on here, never actually do any DIY.

Perhaps Muddymike would say just how much use his drill got?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. And Lidl tools are far better value for money than shed own brands. And very suitable for average DIY use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jim GM4DHJ ...

what is lidl ?...tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Having moved house 19 months ago into another old house needing a lot doing, and retiring 16 months ago so have ample time to do it all its had a lot of use. So far I have used it and/or a much older Lidl cordless I also own whilst. Removing cabinets from part of the kitchen. Rebuilding cabinets to fit a complicated laundry room. Made and installed built in cabinets in sitting room. Installing numerous blinds and curtains. Dry lining two rooms. Drilled many holes as part of Land Rover rebuild. Set countless pop rivets as part of Land Rover rebuild. Removed masses of white melamine shelves, cupboards and wardrobes. Racking out a store room Shelving in workshop (Two 8x4 sheets worth) I've gained two ice cream tubs full of screws all of which were removed by it or the second much older Lidl cordless.

I do find having two on the go is very useful, one to drill the hole and a second to insert the screw or pop the rivet.

Ive used the replacement already to screw an opening lid together as part of creating a housing for the water pump.

I also have a large Lidl 240 volt SDS hammer drill which I've also used extensively rawlplugging, masonry breaking and core drilling. This is the warranty replacement Lidl made 15 years ago for one I burned out by inadvertently blocking the air vents when the original was 2.5 years old. I've been more careful since:-)

Back to rebuilding the Land Rover now as its raining today.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

So sounds like what I'd describe as heavy DIY use?

Given a Lidl cordless drill costs maybe a quarter of a 'name' brand, getting on for three years out of it doesn't seem too bad to me. Assuming it is reasonably 'nice' to use.

There was a time when things like cheap mains SDS drills were clunky great things compared to the best on the market.

Don't think this applies to a plain cordless drill these days.

Remember needing to open up a 9" brick wall to take a bigger window. Where a 9" angle grinder would be handy. Not having needed one before, looked into hiring. Then got a Lidl one for less than the hire charge. It is still going strong, despite having been leant out to pals on occasion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)