Frozen Condensate Pipe

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to run a small heating element down the condensate drain to keep it above freezing? Perhaps coupled to a thermostat?

The issue is the drain freezing.

Address that problem directly instead of messing around with the expensive bits (condensing boilers) or specifying a less efficient boiler.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In new builds it can easily be solved by draining into internal waste pipes. I am pretty sure that is the case in my daughters new build.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That can apply to anywhere the boiler is near a waste pipe, but not if it's stuck in someone's bedroom - though I suppose that's less likely with a new build.

Reply to
Max Demian

Foor a short run and an easy mod. mine could go into the stand-pipe for the washing machine. As I've said, with siphonic batches of warm water and a steep slope, I've never had a problem (it's OK, the boiler can't see the screen).

Reply to
PeterC

I believe there is a maximum permitted length now (3m external). The answer is to up it to 32mm and plumbers merchants sell an appropriate adapter. Another tip is to take the condensate pipe right down into the water in the drain so the liquid is never exposed to air.

Reply to
bert

In article , bert writes

Omitted this from my post BS 6798:2009

Reply to
bert

It is negligence by the installers, that is all. Water has been freezing solid at 0 degC since degrees were invented. Any outside pipe carrying water is going to freeze in cold weather unless protected (insulated and trace heated, in this case). People should have asked the installers to point out the clause in the contract that states the boiler is liable to stop working in cold weather.

There was a period of about 10 years when there were mild winters, during which condensing boilers started to be installed and then took over the market. When the first cold snap hit, there was chaos.

The installers were charging to come back, defrost the pipes and install insulation and trace heating when the problems had been caused by their negligence in the first place.

Reply to
Onetap

If you drain the condensate trap, fumes can get out along the condensate p ipe until the trap has refilled. So, being pedantic, you may be working on the gas/flue train and should be Gas Safe if doing it as work. In reality, I think no-one gives a toss.

Reply to
Onetap

Add to this they only like to use what in in their van. And they never read installation instructions.

Reply to
DerbyBorn