Front door painting!

I closed mine nearly shut and kept it from opening with a chair. Mind you, I'm in a sleepy backwater so wasn't concerned. You could put a bucket filled with marbles and tin cups on top of the door so if Johnny intruder opens it at night therell be a hell of a noise!

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Hello,

I painted my front door this weekend - yippee it took forever!

However, eben though I finished it arounf lunchtime, I guess it will still be tacky for a while. I'm worried about shutting it overnight and the door sticking to the frame and me having huge patches to redo. Particularly down the hinge side. Any ideas on drying times or how to speed them up? I guess I cant be the first person to paint a door!

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

You need a sleeping bag and a wedge. Wedge the door open, sleep behind it to keep the burglers out. One of those security chane thingies would be usefull. You may be on dogey ground with the insuracnce if you goto bed with the door left open.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

it'll be tacky for a couple of days, there's no option but to shut the door, open it whenever you can and flat off / repaint the bits that stuck.

or do what I did this weekend and fit a new UPVC door set.

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

Hi,

Once it's just tacky and not wet, wrap the edges with thin decorating plastic (clear PVC).

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks Pete, do I addume that clingfilm will be a reasonable substitute (given it's 7pm on a asunday and the sheds are closed!)?

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

Hi,

I'd have thought so, as it's just PVC with plasticisers. Keep an eye on it, if it's sticking too much try something like a polythene carrier or bread bag.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thin plastic or clingfilm can get stuck onto the surface - terrible to pick off. I use strips cut from the heavy plastic rubble sacks they sell in Tesco. Works well.

Reply to
rrh

"Mike Hibbert" wrote | I painted my front door this weekend - yippee it took forever! | However, eben though I finished it arounf lunchtime, I guess it | will still be tacky for a while. I'm worried about shutting it | overnight and the door sticking to the frame and me having huge | patches to redo.

Or being stuck inside the house.

| Particularly down the hinge side. Any ideas on drying times or | how to speed them up? I guess I cant be the first person to | paint a door!

No, but what I did was close the door until almost-but-not-quite-touching, then screw a large woodscrew into the gap between the door and the frame (on the latch side). It doesn't need to be screwed very much but will hold the door closed (at least I trusted it, but I do live in a flat with a locked communal door downstairs).

Any paint stick on the hinge side will be broken when the door opens; it's paint stick on the latch side that really glues a door closed.

In this cold weather gloss will probably be fairly tacky for at least a day.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Pete C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't know if it makes any difference for this use, but much (most? all?) clingfilm is not PVC. A common one is Saran (polyvinylidene chloride/PVDC).

And no, I really don't know anything about it but you could look at to find a bit more.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Close it on some clingfilm. Paint will still stick to that so will need touching up but less hassle.

Reply to
G&M

Hmm, looked it up and it appeared to be PVC plasticised with DEHA (hence all the health scares):

Anyway might be too fragile to peel off easily but hopefully the OP won't get stuck indoors tomorrow...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Reply to
Pete C

... and by the time you've looked up all that, the paint has likely dried!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thanks to all that replied, in the end I gut up lots of old plastic bags (the missus has a store of them with almost a trillion in!) and used that. It worked a treat!

cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

A tip. On any wet oil-painted surface that needs to be closed. Once skinned over apply liberal amounts of washing up liquid around the jam. This will help prevent sticking. Just wash off when all is hardened.

Mark

**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
Reply to
MG

right - but be sure to use the cheapass stuff, which is green soap. The better liquids are something else.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton