Fridge Query

Years ago if you looked at the back of a fridge you'd see the condenser coils. When I was looking for a new fridge recently I noticed that most models have the back covered with a sheet of what looks like corrugated plastic. I assumed that this was for protection and would be removed on installation.

Not so - my new replacement does not mention removing the back and wouldn't be straightforward. I thought that condensers should be in open air for efficiency. What's going on?

NB the entire back is covered apart from a 20 cm gap at the bottom where one can see the compressor etc.

GrahamC

Reply to
Graham C

Open at the top? Perhaps it's creating a 'chimney' to persuade the rejected heat to rise?

Reply to
Andy Burns

By closing it in, you can create a chimney effect, and this can actually increase the rate of cooling as you get faster convection though the air path.

Reply to
John Rumm

Mine is also, and it seems to be there to protect the fragile bits and pipework. In frost free designs a lotof the heat is given out in heating an evaporation tray at the base. I often wonder about this, as if all that moisture goes up it is enclosed and may well rot the bits in there at some point. also of course modern fridges seem to have very good insulation compared with older models so probably do not need quite so much power to keep them cold. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No not open at the top. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It may well be that the airflow with the back on is greater with than it would be without. Chimney effect drawing cool air in at the bottom.

In normal use the thing is usually up against a wall anyway.

I presume there is a small gap open at the top too...

The compressor also gets warm so wants to be exposed (and you don't really want the heat from it rising past the heat exchanger).

Reply to
Martin Brown

If it is a "built-in" fridge then it probably has a fan near the compressor and expects to circulate air through a vent grille in the kickboard.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

On a lot of freestanding fridges the 'heat output' is actually on the side panels; the insulation is sufficiently good for the external casing of the fridge to be the output and the inside to still be cold.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Just to confirm - there is no gap at the top, so no chimney effect.

Howeverthe backs of all the models I looked at (including mine) are black in colour so I guess that helps (just a tiny bit, as plastic itself is a pretty good insulator).

Perhaps it's a special plastic. Too much trouble now to heave the appliance out and find out what's going on.

GrahamC

Reply to
Graham C

I have noticed this too.

And am as perplexed as you are.

Sure insulation's WAY better, so the things don't need to continuously pull as much heat out, but even so...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Twinwall polycarb is just cheaper than steel - when all aspects of it's manufacture are totted up. The evaporator coils on such machines are in the sides.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr