fretwork screen?

Where can I get fretwork panels to make a three panelled screen? I've tried most places but can't seem to find any. I did think of using radiator panels but they aren't usually wooden so look a bit naff if used vertically rather than alongside a radiator!

janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Jali have some nice ones

Suz

In article , Suz writes

Thanks for the information. I've been to the site though I'm not sure that the screens aren't just the radiator cover strips! I will ask for a brochure.

janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

I think you'd be amazed at what these panels look like when properly framed. To make a panelled screen, you'll need to make some sort of framework to hold the main panel and hinge everything together anyway so, the fretwork sheets that the DIY Sheds supply would be the way to go I'd say.

Reply to
BigWallop

In article , BigWallop writes

I really wanted proper wood and most Sheds manufacture in MDF. I thought making one would be easier than trying to find one in oak or some other light wood.

janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Ah Right ! But if you make the framework out of your choice of timber, then inlay the MDF board, you'll have kept the cost down and made a lovely screen with an ? (oak, ash, beech) frame. No ? Just a thought. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

In article , BigWallop writes

What finish do you suggest on the mdf? I don't think I can make that look like real wood can I? Is it better to paint it?

janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

There is the old willow trick. Make your nice frame and lay straight willow twigs behind. Has a certain look though. Not exactly Chippendale, but very effective. You can get them dead cheap in a garden centre. Might actually look really good with highly polished real wood frame? I think all screens are a dust trap but that's another debate.

Reply to
Suz

Would you need to decorate the MDF ? It is smooth on both sides, so when it's fitted in a real wood frame you wouldn't loose anything in the looks.

Reply to
BigWallop

Ach now you big wallop, of course you'd need to do something. What about a metallic paint? There are some water based ones around that are excellent, with every colour from copper to dull gold to aluminum. One of the illustrations on jali was down like this and looked fab.

Reply to
Suz

BigWallop

I could probably make the screen, but I'd be hopeless at decorating it. I don't have the same eyes as a woman, you see. :-)) I only thought that the frame being natural wood with the effect of the MDF, also being brown wood coloured, would blend in with it.

I'll get me' coat.

Reply to
BigWallop

In article , BigWallop writes

But it would look like MDF surely? Does it look like wood when framed etc with say light oak? I'm not an avid fan of the TV DIY shows products most things look like they should be on the set of the local dramatic society than in a home!

janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

In article , BigWallop writes

I did attempt to make a small version to see the effect but it looked like, well..... MDF surrounded by a wooden frame. This being a blinking great big screen in the end rather hits you in the eye! Plus it's supposed to be in a room with light oak stuff so consequently might just look like well.... MDF? I didn't mind paying for decent fretworked wood if only I could find it! I found eastern ones, which were heavy and dark and would have fair 'loomed' into the room! I wouldn't even mind one in deal because I could always matt varnish it with several coats and that seems to make it look better (well it does on 15 pane glass doors)

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

In article , Suz writes

Yes but it's supposed to hide three large racks of type cases and drawers plus type, card, chases, ink and so on ! The type cases are all made in old pine but look incredibly scruffy when collected together in a dining room! A carpenter friend reckoned I could varnish the MDF but I'm not so sure! He said there was a programme on cable the other week which actually showed fretwork panels but made in wood NOT MDF.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

The MDF fretwork panels are made by punching out the design with cutters in a pressing machine, like a jigsaw puzzle, so the price can be reasonable. Fretwork panels made from natural wood are very, very expensive, so might take you a way over what think your budget will be.

I think your next step is to contact your local timber merchant and get some prices.

Reply to
BigWallop

Agreed, I try to point that out to my wife too. Varnished mdf looks like solid mud to me and is obvious. Painting the stuff is the only option.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

The 3 fold screens aren't radiator cover strips, they are ... well ... er ... 3 fold screens.

Reply to
Suz