French Pressurised Hot Water Cylinders - fitting in the UK

>This is the Internet and these sorts are allowed to operate. The wheat and

Reply to
Andy Hall

So I've noticed.

I wasn't, I didn't, but there is something irresistable about him isn't there? :-)

Holly

Reply to
Holly

"Holly" wrote | I wasn't, I didn't, but there is something irresistable about | him isn't there? :-)

'ere, IMM, you've pulled!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That is what I have been trying to do for you. Put extra safety measures on the cylinder. At least an anti-vacuum valve.

Reply to
IMM

This is understandable. I am absolutely gorgeous. I am also brilliant at the tango.

Reply to
IMM

Ohmygod, my poor brain can't cope with much more! uk.diy didn't used to be like this! Somebody please tell me that Aidan is a genuine poster who has got mixed up, and not IMM in disguise!

Aidan, if you are genuine, my apologies, because everything else you are saying seems to make sense. FYI I'm in France, which is why I'm not in the least concerned the UK regs other than the safety issues, and why I have very strange plumbing and two French cylinders in my house!

I'll come back to this tomorrow, probably after spending the night having nightmares about cylinders exploding or imploding :-)

Holly

Reply to
Holly

Mmmm

Reply to
IMM

Is that dancing it, or drinking it? :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

dancing it,

Reply to
IMM

Definite apologies, have been googling, found lots of your past posts, should have done that before posting the last message. Will still leave the rest of the reply until tomorrow. Sorry Holly

Reply to
Holly

went through a brass towel rail snaked about a bit and then went up to the loft and vented over the tank. When the immersion stat went belly up the boiling water took the line of least resistance and went up the cold feed back to the cold tank in the loft. Implosion.

On another occasion: In ye olden day they would put the open vent through the roof tiles and onto the roof, not over the tank. The open vent iced up, Immersion stat fails and cylinder implosion again.

Reply to
IMM

So you know when you've Tango'd when you dance IMM :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

I knew before......

Coming from you, that comment is rich,,,,,,,,

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh, I can believe it.

I was easily able to implode my old copper cylinder with a vacuum cleaner before putting it on the skip.

The result was rather like one of those car crushers. It became very small indeed. I was amazed.

It was a fairly hefty Bosch workshop vacuum cleaner, but even so...

Reply to
Andy Hall

You never.

Reply to
IMM

I have head of, but never actually seen implosions where a few powerful power shower pumps are taken off the cylinders side. A full body jet shower was fitted and in the morning when two showers were on, and the dishwasher kicked in and the kitchen tap was on too the output was higher than what the

22mm pipe from the tank could input. Implosion, not big but a sort of crinkling of the cylinder. A simple anti-vacuum valve would have prevented it.

Some thermal stores are fitted with anti-vacuum valves too.

Reply to
IMM

I'm in London where, I assure you, there are not many spring fed systems.

You thought I was IMM! I am deeply offended.

I had though the French cylinders were imports to the UK.

Reply to
Aidan

You have my sympathy :-) Not that there is anything wrong with London in particular, I wouldn't want to live in Dublin or Paris either (we came to France from Ireland)

No, I know.

I didn't *really* think you were IMM, you make much more sense.

The OP was thinking of importing them. Properly plumbed and wired in according to the UK regulations, if such a thing is possible, they wouldn't actually be a bad idea. They do seem to hold the heat better than any copper cylinders we have ever had. And as I said before, they look nicer :-)

Holly

Reply to
Holly

re valve:

That might actually be quite a good idea.

When the pressure ceases to be a problem the water why wouldn't the water just stop moving back up the cold feed?

I'm not saying that these cylinders can't or don't implode, just can't see why they would in this situation.

Holly

Reply to
Holly

I will have to re-download the messages and/or have a google, don't know exactly what a tundish is. I'll find out in a minute, no need to explain.

Freezing would be a huge problem here if we had a pipe going outside, we get temps of -15deg C. Then again we have slightly acid water so no limescale. Damage/blockage could be a problem inside or out.

Yes, can see why.

In that case it could be heat resistant, thanks for that. It would be useful to know that for sure before deciding whether to replace it right back to the unit or join it to the new cable in a junction box.

Well yes, that might be an easier option, will look into it.

oooh, your water authorities would be horrified at the amount of water that is "wasted" here. We have two pipes coming down from the well. One supplies the house, the other the outside taps and a fountain that runs all the time, the overflow going into an underground pipe and into the river. In the well the take-off for the fountain pipe is higher up than the one for the house pipe, and the height of water in the fountain varies with the amount of water in the well, so it acts as an easily visible early warning system if the water level in the well gets low in the summer. I guess it also keeps the water from stagnating in the well.

so you could just let the expansion relief valve discharge it.

We might well do that. Thanks for your help Holly

Reply to
Holly