Dyson cut-out

I was vacuuming this morning, soon after new carpets fitted. Just before completion, darned Dyson lost power. I thought it was down to my treading on cable and breaking a connection, as I've done once before. So that meant lugging to shed, stripping out the switch, etc. When I could find no obvious breaks, a possible alternative cause occurred to me: the cylinder was chock full and some sort of automatic cut-out had been triggered. Sure enough, after emptying, all was OK!

I'd been holding out until I'd finished, and had planned to take a photo. ("Can you believe all this came from a new carpet?")

There's a label on the machine itself, which includes mention of an over-heating cut-out. I guess that was it?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:56:09 +0000, Terry Pinnell strung together this:

Yep, once the cylinder starts getting full the airflow is reduced through the motor, which then overheats and cuts-out. Do it often enough and you'll need a new motor and\or cut-out.

Reply to
Lurch

Yup. Give it a good cleaning and wash the filters out if it has them. It happened to me once with our DC07 which we inherited after it had been used during a house renovation....

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

No loss of suction 100% of the time not a sausage nothin

Peter

Reply to
Peter

"Peter" wrote in news:cnio3m$nn6$1 @hercules.btinternet.com:

This slogan does assume occasional emptying; IIRC the ad implies that the downside of a Dyson is that it needs emptying more often due to greater efficiency.

I know I empty mine in a few seconds - outstanding

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Sister-in-law *gave* me her almost new Dyson because it periodically stopped. I replaced both filter. No problem since! I did try to persuade her to take it back, honest!

Tis a brilliant machine, even when dealing with evil Tetrion sandings from my inept electrical socket fitting!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I take it you mean: No loss of suckers. ?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

On the subject of emptying, after a year or so with this Dyson DC04, I still hesitate about which way to replace the top cover. I keep vowing to stick a bit of yellow tape on the bottom section, to match the yellow plastic thingie on top.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

No prob on the DC11, once you've worked out which catch releases it.

(First vacuum that's forced me to RTFM)

mike

Reply to
mike ring