Freelander circuit diagram?

I finally decided that I ought to do something about an irritating problem, we have..the Freelander interior front lights don't work - any of the ones above the drivers/passengers heads EXCEPT that the main light works when the doors are opened. But not when switched on from the lighting cluster switches.

I guess there is a separate feed to these lights from somewhere, with maybe a relay or some such, or a fuse,..but have no idea where to start looking.

Occasionally they do work, like about once in a blue moon, so its probably a bad connection or broken crimp.

Anyone got a circuit diagram to point me in the right direction?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely this should be in uk.rec.cars.maintenance?

Reply to
Doki

Long gone are the days when you could send away to Lucas' for a circuit diagram for a particular model of car - which arrived on a single sheet of A4 (or more likely foolscap!) paper. The electrical and electronic systems in modern cars are so complex that the schematics take up 10's if not 100's of pages.

The driver handbook should specify which fuses protect which functions, which may provide some sort of a clue as to where to look.

Do Haynes do a manual for your car? If so, that will cover at least some of the electrics, and may tell you what you need to know. Have a browse in Halfords.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hi Haynes do a manual but you need a degree in Sanskrit to decipher it ,sounds like the old range rover problem of the contacts on the cluster switch sticking.(try rotating it 10/20 times rapidly) . IIR the overheads are on a delay relay unit (used to be behind the passenger glove box area but since BMW got involved who knows what they have been up to. Sorry not to have been more help but HEY remember Above ALL its a Rover.....

CJ

Reply to
cj

Rover^^BMH^^BL^^BMW^^Ford^^Tata

How many more owners can one make have?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've missed at least one! Rover (in common with Triumph) was bought and owned by Leyland for a few years prior to the shotgun marriage with BMH (BMC+Jaguar) to form British Leyland - subsequently called BL.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yu mean yu have to have the main lights on to get the overheads going?

That is probably te bit that IS working..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plenty.

However I am actually sanguine about Tata.

I think they will do a good job.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi Yup the overheads used to come on with the door-jamb lights on the earlier models ,the timer relay was fed from the sidelight position of the switch on it's own feed and was slaved through the door open circuit. Result daylight open door centre light only comes on. Night (lights on) open door overheads,door-jamb (or footwell) & centre lights all come on then fade out slowly. IMO a silly gimmick but hey it sold cars.

CJ

Reply to
cj

Thats all working, its when the doors (switches) are closed, and I want to put the interior lights on, that it doesn't work, on any of them.

ie.e the map reading lights don't work at all, and the center light only with the doors open.

Obviously I am missing a live feed to the swiches..but where does it come from?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah! a light dawns(sorry) If it's the earlier wiring loom (Leyland era) the dash switch actually earths the lighting relay (like opening the door) so you are looking for a loose earth.Normally found in the centre overhead light which comes loose over time. The later looms got more complicated and feeds were taken either from the cigarette lighter cct or the ancillary fusebox marked as glove light.(don't ask). Try the local library for the Haynes manual for your model It will point you in the right direction.

CJ

Reply to
cj

No, that all works so it cant be an earth, or the lights would never come on at all. The door opening bit DOES work, and there are no dash switches fir the interior lights - they are all above me head!

The glove light don't work either I think which may be significant. Its BMW era freelander. I;'ll peer into te fusebox.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then you've probably not had to repair the wiring in a Mahindra

Reply to
Neil J. Harris